Everesting training

So, thinking about attempting an everesting. Probably a virtual one on alpe du zwift

How many meters accent do people reckon I should be doing -

• per week? (Last few weeks prior to tapering)
  • biggest training ride? (Probably laps of the alpe)

I was thinking building up to 10,000 meters a week and 5000 meters for a single ride

The biggest thing is to get used to the desired power and cadence combination as you’ll be spending a significant time at it. Work on getting time at that combo up so that it’s sustainable and repeatable. I would also focus on maximizing on the bike intake by doing longer rides if possible as what works at hour 1 might not work at hour 5

Worrying about elevation is kind of missing the biggest factors of vEveresting

2 Likes

What do you think is a reasonable target time for completion? I would work back from that and figure out weekly volume and longest ride (I’d want at least 50% of the time personally.)

Personally, I’d probably aim for .6 - .65 IF for the climbing portion. From that you can estimate WKG at that power output and then extrapolate AdZ lap times. Add 11min or so for the decent and multiple by 9. That is probably an optimistic estimate with no breaks. Maybe add 60-90 min for breaks (?)

And I agree with @N8lewis, you need to make sure you have the right gearing to ride at that pace with the trainer difficulty at 100% at the simulated gradients you’ll see on AdZ and be at a comfortable cadence. If you want to get on the official list trainer difficulty needs to be 100%.

1 Like

This will help get the answer - CALCULATOR - EVERESTING -

Chuck the verified Zwift Insider Strava segment and your numbers in and off you go: Alpe du Zwift | Strava Virtual Ride Segment in Temotu Province, Solomon Islands

3 Likes

As mentioned above, the everesting calculator will be a big help in figuring out the time. If you do indoors, you can get off the bike on the descent, and that gives you some breaks without adding additional time. Outdoors breaks off the bike will extend the overall time of the ride.
I’m now so used to doing most of my training indoors that tracking preparation in terms of actual meters climbed seemed odd, but I think your plans there are at the high end of what is useful for training, especially the single ride number. For indoor training, I tend to look more at kcal expended, rather than hours ridden when comparing indoor rides to an Everest - this mainly makes sense when the riding is at about the everesting intensity.
Not knowing your fitness level, it’s hard to give specific advice, as the training and pacing for 10-12 hour everest is different from a 20-24 hour everest, and I only have experience with the latter. I am working towards another Everest attempt in a few weeks, and the longest rides I have done in a week are 6 hours, with other weeks maxing out at 4-5 hours (these were mostly on the trainer for me.) These have proven to be long enough to prep for an everest for me in the past - I did do a small number of longer rides in run-ups to those, but only 1 or 2, and I don’t think enough to significantly change my fitness.
The longer the everest is going to take, the more conservative you should be in your pacing. It will seem really slow to start out with, but you need to be thinking about keeping that same pace 20 hours later. My everests have been mostly planned around the goal of completing it, not setting an impressive time, so that’s really all I can comment on.
I would recommend trying a pace and fueling strategy and do 1/4 -1/3 of an everest at the pace you intend to go the full length, and see how you feel at the end of that - your should feel like you can do a lot more at that pace. Also, don’t underestimate the mental aspect of completing this - I would guess that a significant portion (and maybe a majority) of people who abandon an attempt do that due to mental rather than physical strain. Have friends involved if you can - riding with others can be a huge mental boost.
Good luck! (And please give a report after your attempt - we all can learn a lot from what has/hasn’t worked for other people.)

1 Like

I did an Everesting last year. Decided on Sunday and went for it on Thursday. Poor preparation, awful hard but I completed it with some margin to be on the safe side - 9 600 meters total. It took me almost 21 hours, including 3 hours of breaks.
The most crucial thing was fueling. You’ll need WAY more carbs than you think. Some support from your friends is also a good idea. Selection of the right hill is important. Mine was a gentle 6 % gradient, 500 meters hill. Yes, plenty of repeats, but after 15 or so hours I was happy not to climb a steep hill or do a long, fast descent in darkness.
Next year I plan to do a double Everesting. Requires much more preparation, a different hill and more training. What kind of training? Just work to raise my FTP and put in some long rides. A “base camp” - half an Everesting - two weeks before my attempt. That’s it I guess…

3 Likes