Do you have any cycling superstitions?

Here in Lancashire it’s always just about to rain, raining, of just finished raining. That’s why I always clean my bike after every ride.

2 Likes

The few times I’ve got number 13 for a TT, it has of course been worn upside down. I also tend to say touchwood a lot and never type the full word for p’ture ( just thinking about it has probably hexed me now :joy: )

3 Likes

Is that like Beetlejuice? Say it three times and you’re in trouble :thinking::rofl:

3 Likes

Hah! I’m exactly the same way. I’m very much an empiricist the vast majority of the time, but holy crap am I superstitious about the jinx. I’ll knock wood, trail off sentences to avoid saying the thing I don’t want to happen, and even in work situations will do everything I can to diplomatically avoid saying everything is great. My go-to for work here is “Right now, as of 7:07AM today (knock wood exactly three times), we’re in good shape. (knock wood exactly three times).”

Even after 15+ years my wife is still occasionally surprised at how superstitious I am.

3 Likes

Ha. American here. I don’t even know what that is. Jelly beans?

1 Like

After a bad accident years ago I won’t wear a sleeveless top on any outdoor rides (I rarely did but had worn one that afternoon.) Silly superstition. I like the Kodiak cakes idea better

1 Like

Jelly Babies a bit like the soft sweet bit of a jelly bean in the shape of a baby character :yum:

Jelly Babies - Wikipedia

2 Likes

10 jelly babies is 60g of carbs

3 Likes

Those are…interesting. Is the taste similar to gummy bears?

I guess we have Sour Patch Kids, which I love for the little kick of sour taste. And much cheaper than most cycling gummies.

Looking over my routine, I’m actually kind of surprised I don’t have more superstitions. Belgian waffles on race day is my only one. And yes they have to be Belgian waffles. Feel like having Belgian in the name gets me the extra little push to go hard on the bike. Apart from the carbs from the waffles and syrup.

This is my go to mix:
Classique Fare Belgian Waffle Mix

2 Likes

I liked their waffles as you can load them up with some maple syrup and fruit pieces, etc…

Not as sharp and very different texture. Jelly babies are very soft and melt in mouth pretty well.

2 Likes

As soon as that is said I’m taking the easy gentle route off, the “last run” of the day getting verbalised has seen too many crashes in various groups that I want no part of it.

2 Likes

I’m guessing they’re similar to those jellied orange slices our grandparents (or great) had.

1 Like

Based on appearances could well be similar

1 Like