Dessert and sleep

Hi all

How long before sleeping is it safe to eat dessert? I have a major sweet tooth and more often than not, I end up eating sugary foods after dinner, e.g. donuts, cookies, and/or ice cream. This is usually about 3 hours before I go to bed.

I’m trying to cut back on the dessert, but it occurred to me that eating anything sugary (including fruit) too close to bedtime can negatively effect sleep. How long generally should one wait after eating dessert before going to bed?

Thanks!

Yup can’t touch that stuff after lunch. Otherwise it is lights on at 3am. Gave up on it altogether in the end. The research said that three hours before was sufficient. Couldn’t get that to work for me.

2 Likes

This happened to me last night, had a piece of cake at 10pm. Barely slept all night, so today has been crap, including my workout. Honestly, for me it’s probably worse than drinking.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. One my struggles is waking up at 3AM as well, I’ve really been trying to figure out what my issue is. Maybe I’ll try to go cold turkey with sugary foods after lunch.

Google insulin and sleep. There are some very interesting studies out there.

1 Like

I try not to eat anything for the 3 hours before going to bed. When I eat too close to bedtime I have a terrible sleep and sweat a lot (the body/digestive system is constantly working to breakdown the food). Some mornings I’ll wake up and feel hungover just like I used to when I was drinking alcohol.

For me not eating 3 hours before bed has been a game changer for sleep and just feeling better the next day.

1 Like