CV-19 Indoor riding: What road skill will you miss most?

Since we have gone to full lock down and it looks like riding outside will be a tad difficult to do for the foreseeable. What skillz are you looking forward to reacquainting yourselves with in the summer?

Blowing snot rockets? Taking the bidon out of the bottle cage instead of off the shelf? Cornering all by your little self using the steering? (Actual banking into turns?) . Wearing a jersey? Wearing a Skid Lid and goggles? Being able to reach stuff in your back pockets? Fixing a puncture? Shaving the pistons? What?

Descending is not in high demand in this neck of the woods…

accurate spitting

1 Like

that last minute pothole avoidance!

(and I know I should be scanning to see them early, but on UK roads this sometimes means picking the least bad pothole to ride through)

3 Likes

I’m a Triathlete, so…

11 Likes

Some of the holes I had to avoid last minute could have swallowed my bike whole!

Was particularly concerned when the only option to avoid the obvious hole was to ride of the part of tarmac still covered in water potentially hiding more of the things.

1 Like

I avoid it where at all possible but got caught out a couple of times yesterday… Hopefully the good weather will hold and there won’t be puddles for much longer

2 Likes

First off…kudos to your powers of optimism thinking this will be over by summer.

Secondly…looking forward to reacquainting with speed, plain and simple velocity. I’ve lost all sense of movement, 120w is the same as 520w. Fast, slow…it’s all the same.

As for skillz…braking! Goes hand-in-hand with speed. My bike is covered in trainer sweat except my brake levers which have a thick coating of dust. Lost all sense of slowing down and stopping power/distance.

2 Likes

Since I’m on the slow end of my group, the things I’ll miss most: Sitting in. Drafting. Skipping pulls. Getting dropped.

2 Likes

Well, not a skill, but those long 5 hours weekend rides…

As a newbie to the 5hr club, I say it’s definitely a skill!

Now referring to social distancing as physical distancing. The amount of foot traffic has decreased in my neighbourhood by 95% but the amount of across-the-street shouting has increased by 95%. :laughing:

1 Like

You do know you can still ride outside solo if you want to ?
In fact I would highly recommend it due to the lovely weather and lack of traffic.

feeling the wind + being away from my girlfriend

I miss the well aimed snot rocket at the car that just honked at you. Also the cooling from the air. Even 2 fans don’t get close to the feeling

Cooling yes; bugs no.

Weird. I have exactly 2 fans – wife & dog.
Okay…maybe just 1 fan…and only when I have food. :pensive:

Got a track bike when I was naive enough to think summer racing will be happening… Looking at a trail bike but said GF is putting her veto in effect

2 Likes