Custom workout and progression levels

I know this is a horse that has been beaten to multiple deaths.

But how accurate are the levels we see of a custom Wo compared to a TR workout.

My Wo this morning was 4x8
First one was a progression to ftp
Second was 8x40s @ 130 / 20s recovery
Third was progression to 105 ftp
Fourth was progression to ftp but with low/high cadence changes.

TR determined it was a vo2mx, but i would consider this more of a threshold Wo based on time at the different levels…

So not sure if i am understanding the way TR determine a level for the wo…

• It depends…

• Sadly, there is no simple or singular answer. Some seem right on, while others are drastically off. Sprints seem to skew it in most cases I have seen, but again, nothing concrete.

1 Like

TR roadmap has WL/PL 2.0 to address several things, including more accurate custom workout levels. When I looked the biggest issues were mixed workouts like what you’ve shown, and % FTP power levels that were higher than similar above threshold TR workouts (for example sprints, and probably higher power 30/15s or 40/20s).

Even if it was accurate, beyond intellectual curiosity does it matter? Are you having PL FOMO? Just like having some getting fitter eye candy instead of looking at power curve? Is your coach giving you cycling workouts that resemble TR plans? You realize the WLs and PLs are primarily in support of automated picking of workouts within a TR plan, and to assist you with picking alternates, right?

What does your coach say about the goals of the workout?

1 Like

I dont ask this questions…
If I was to guess, she was probably trying to kill me.

Yeah…
Doesnt matter really… it just curious… Also, I do pick workouts from time to time, but not super often…

Its an interesting mix of threshold and vo2 work, maybe to keep things fresh and interesting. Who knows. By your HR it appears you stopped pedaling in the 2nd and 3rd intervals, long enough for a partial recovery. TR should really show the amount of stopped time, and pause the interval timer, versus making the stopped time disappear. I’d expect HR to rise at the beginning of each interval, which it appears to have happened.

This is actually something she mentioned yesterday when we were talking about the workout… to make it interesting and less boring.

Yes…
I stopped 3 times…
on the 8x40s (after 3rd and 6th) and at the 5 minute of the 3rd set…
the 3 stops were less than 1 minute…probably closer to 30s.

the 8x40s were brutally hard…

1 Like