Crashed on Palisade

I switched to mid-volume this block and have carpathian peak +2 tomorrow also rather than the normally scheduled Palisade. I’m looking forward to it.

I did something slightly similar and went back to SSBMV1. The lower intensity allowed me to survive with a house full of people over the Chrissy period.
Palisade was last weekend. This weekend is McAdie+1. :star_struck:

I did palisade (admittedly the -2 version) on monday after only three hours of sleep the previous night, and found it entirely doable…
Mind you I’m pretty strong at treshold; Vo2max on the other hand :fearful:

Did palisade today.
I really Like it!
For me, VO2max is more difficult.

1 Like

Did this one today after having four 8.9% tall boys last night. Had to look up if this work out is really hard or hangover haha. I’m glad that it’s just hard and wasn’t the tall boys. :laughing:

Right… completed Palisade first time. I’ve never been able to do that during SS Base I in 2020 or 2019. For those who also struggle here are my tips:

1. Don’t ever think that you have 5 x 9 min pieces. Convince yourself that doing 3 is a result
  2. Focus on the current minute only
  3. Try to keep your power and cadence consistent within each over and under, don’t jump around too much. This is easier on a smart turbo
  4. On the first minute of each set don’t chase the target too much, it might be a bit lower as you are starting from a lower power (ie the 6min rest). Let the smart turbo set the agenda
  5. Have some mental images when it gets tough. For some reason I visualise Indurain powering up Alpe d’Huez. Today I was thinking of a clip of a group lead by Fignon powering up Galibier… not sure how that got in my head but it helped. In the last 30s of an ‘over’ I was thinking of a friend of mine chasing me up Alpe d’Huez… I had to fend him off until Dutch Corner
  6. I tend to count. Counting to 40 makes a minute pass, sometimes I count to 8 over and over
  7. Once you get 3 done, if you’re tired just see out the 6 minute rest after the third set… you’ll recover
  8. Get 4 done and you can hang on for the 5th… of course you can
  9. Good music
6 Likes

Did Palisade today and found it not that bad. Admittedly I ate a Gel before each interval, so fueling was good.
I expect McAdie+1 to be much harder. :scream:

1 Like

Another thing I noticed. Previously I’ve done Palisade at the end of SSB LV but this time I’m doing Mid Volume. I think it makes a reasonable difference

1 Like