COVID Vaccine Shots and Training

Because everyone who doesn’t get the vaccine is going to die?

2 Likes

Johnson and Johnson vaccine on Wednesday around noon and then did a short 20 minute run in the afternoon with some sprints at the end. Thursday I did a 60 minute trainer workout with ten 30 second intervals of all out…my average power for those was normal. I feel fine except my arm is just a little sore from the shot.

I (32/M) was absolutely flattened by my 2nd moderna about three weeks ago. It basically felt like I had the flu for 2 days. Took about a week to feel normal again, but now I am feeling great and crushing my rides!

Exact same thing happened to me. I’m glad though because my friends who’ve gotten covid have had it much worse than just a day or two off the bike.

I’ll take losing a couple days of training over possibly losing 2-4 weeks any day.

My response to the 2nd Pfizer vaccine was a couple days with minor flu symptoms. Coincided with a recovery week but I did attempt a vo2 effort and failed miserably. 7 days post vaccine, planned FTP test saw a 15w increase to 285. Guess Pfizer now have a couple of products that lift performance😀

this is a great thread.

i’m 50/M and might get my 1st shot on sunday after a 50 mile RR. i’ll be honest i’m very nervous about the long term vaccine impact and don’t really want to be a pin cushion for years to come. cycling is what i do (like us all) and i don’t want to hurt that. i’m not at the doctor very often (like once in 10 yrs). then weigh that up against long covid. i’m pro doing the right thing but i’m just really hesitant given my lifestyle.

3 Likes

I think it’s pretty much guaranteed that a covid infection would be far worse for your fitness than the vaccine. Even if you only get a mild case. Remeber that this is primarily a respiratory virus. Plus I assume you also like traveling and taking part in cycling events? That’s going to be impeded until the virus rescinds, which is only going to happen with enough people being vaccinated.

3 Likes

Update: Saturday I did an 80 mile group ride, average 20.8 mph, where I was dropped on the last significant climb (I usually don’t get dropped with this group). Then Sunday morning I started a run and after only a quarter of a mile I got really dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out (never happened to me before). I stopped and walked back home. This was day 4 after the vaccine. Day 5, Monday after work, I tried another run and ran 3.3 miles with no issues. I’m hoping day 4 was the worst for me and it’s back to normal now.

I am still in the hesitant crowd.

While I have in the past tried to get it, before I was as hesitant, I wasn’t able to get it. The more time goes on, the more nervous I am (and the less effective it seems to be). Plus after realizing if there are long term effects to the vaccine, I am SOL.

Any of my travel is in my van and prefer to stay away from people. Being forced to quit racing wouldn’t hurt my feelings, I planned on quitting soon anyway. The only crowds I am around is at work as an industrial mechanic, and I don’t even like my coworkers and prefer not to be around them too.

Pretty sure I already had Covid, and it wasn’t bad. I never had those symptoms before, but it didn’t last more than a few days and was way more mild that the flu. I wasn’t able to get a test so I can’t confirm it.

2 Likes

Ok I get that there is a lot of misinformation out there about the vaccine. But rest assured it is VERY safe. There have been many trials. Scientists and doctors are still paying close attention to the effects of the virus and the vaccine. And also consider that by now half the worlds population have received a vaccine by now. That’s over 4 BILLION people. You don’t get more extensive testing then that. And it is still extremely effective. Virtually everybody who lands in the hospital, or dies, because of covid, has not gotten the vaccine. While virtually nobody who has gotten the vaccine is hospitalised. Honestly just get the vaccine and worry about other things instead.

2 Likes

It’s kind of interesting how arguments from the very anti-vax sound so similar to those from the very pro-vax but it’s like they listened to different parrots.

I was around probably 10,000+ people indoors/outdoors in 6 different states last week and I’m fine. You want the shot? Get it. Don’t want it? Don’t get it.

4 Likes

The problem with that argument is that to prevent the exponential spread of infectious diseases, a certain amount of the population needs to be immunised. How many, depends on the infectiousness of the disease. For something like measels, its over 95%. Anyone who isn’t vaccinated (or immunised through infection) is endangering those that can’t get vaccinated (maybe through ill health or underlying conditions). It’s not just about yourself, it’s about everyone else too.

3 Likes

That’s why I avoid people as much as possible, and when I do have to be around people (grocery store), I mask. Maybe once it gets FDA approval and/or the government decides to accept liability I will go for it. Maybe sooner, but I am still hesitant.

I am not anti vax in general. I used to get the flu vaccine all the time because my ex wife was very susceptible. I not only didn’t argue getting the Anthrax shot when I was in the military, I wanted the full series (but they sent me to the middle east without it). When we were offered the Smallpox, I took it (though I never reacted).

2 Likes

Maybe you can help me understand this data from the UK:

Latest technical briefing 19, dated 23 July 2021. Tables 4 and 5 have UK hospitalization and death data covering 1 February 2021 thru 19 July 2021. Roughly half the cases are Delta variant, and roughly half those are vaccinated. Virtually nobody? Maybe I’m missing something, but that data for the UK leaves me with a very different conclusion versus what you wrote. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

This is a statistics issue. Only~30,000 fully vax vs 200,000 unvaxxed or not fully vaccinated ended up in the hospital despite roughly 60% of the population vaccinated from the delta variant. This is also in the UK where a higher proportion of people recieved AZ which is known to have a much lower efficacy and drop in efficacy against delta compared to either mrna vaccine.

To put it another way, if 100% of people are vaccinated, what percentage of people hospitalized do you expect to be vaccinated?

2 Likes

Perhaps I should have taken the other two math classes and graduated with a dual degree. I simply cannot look at the hospitalization numbers in that report, and say fully vaccinated represents virtually nobody. At least not with a straight face.

I’m not anti-vax, just the opposite.

1 Like

It looks like an interesting data set, if not one that is easily interpreted without some context. It certainly appears that the vaccines are doing their job in reducing serious disease, especially in younger people. But the number of deaths in the >50 y.o. populations are higher during this reporting period for vaccinated. Sounds bad. If you dig just a bit deeper you see that the rate of death in unvaccinated vs. fully vaccinated drops from ~5 to ~1.6. Pretty good.

Some of the other data seem a bit murkier, and do suggest some weird things with vaccinated people staying overnight in the hospital, especially for the >50 group.

I wonder how much of this can be explained by the different levels of effectiveness from the various vaccines. Here in the States, the shots do seem to be doing their job and keeping the vast majority of vaccinated people safe from severe disease and out of the hospital.

1 Like

I’m not going to trivialize the amounts of hospitalizations and deaths. The delta variant is changing things quickly in terms of what the response and vaccination going forwards should look like. But all the vaccines we currently have are helping keep numbers down. A booster is likely necessary or a combination of vaccines that includes at least one mrna dose would seem prudent but logistically difficult.

1 Like

There is certainly a lot to unpack here, and its difficult to come to any conclusions since these are raw numbers and isn’t normalized to behavoiral risk etc. For example it may be that vaccinated older people are now more willing to engage in risk behavoir, or a large number of older people that were most at risk had already gotten covid and/or were hospitilized or died. I’m not an epidemiologist, just an immunologist so I can’t really comment on that much further.

1 Like

That’s what I was trying to say: that these numbers are interesting, but taken on their own don’t tell anywhere near a complete story.

Anyway, the important bit is that last one I tried to make. There’s mounting evidence that the vaccines are doing their job.

1 Like