COVID Vaccine Shots and Training

2nd AZ last night and as the same as the first shot. Absolutely naff all in terms of side affects. I do take my HRV score every morning and both times the score was static but marked with red to suggest my ‘system’ was stressed or over active. Following morning back to normal.

39 F, 2nd Pfizer with 8 week gap.
Barely felt the injection go in, arm less sore than the first time.
Body temperature slightly higher than usual going to sleep that night, but otherwise no other side effects. Felt like I got off lightly!

Had my 2nd dose of Moderna 7 days ago (40/M) and have felt pretty crappy on the bike ever since, like all the power has gone from my legs. Going to have a rest week and see if that helps!

After 2 weeks of 2nd Moderna shot still feeling tired and off (42/m). I’m taking a couple of days rest…:frowning:

1st shot: AZ
Was knocked out for 48hours (fever, etc.), felt flat for one week. After that I felt fine again.

2nd shot: Biontech
Felt fine at first. But after my first workouts I felt totally shattered and experienced headaches. Those hold on for more than two weeks. I am pretty sure they were triggered by the 2nd shot. After 2.5 weeks things got (finally) better. At the end of the third week, I felt fine again.

I ran into a team mate the other day who told me he has not been the same on the bike since his second Pfizer dose. He doesn’t feel bad per se just getting into the red at lower power metrics and he said something about his Garmin VO2 dropped 20 points pre/post vaccine.

Anyways, he’s the first I’ve chatted with that has had a decline in training from the vaccine (assuming it is due to the vaccine). His second shot was in May.

hopefully it resolves for him. I think the typically minor heart inflammation is a legit side effect. As I’ve mentioned it took me a month to get back to normal. Orange is HRV. Blue is resting heart rate. I’m sure you can tell when I got my shot. Good news is, after a month, I’ve never been better. Hopefully he fully recovers.

2 Likes

Hey all,
I know I posted a bunch about my experience earlier (look for my rash pic) but I wanted to give an update. First and second were in April and may respectively. Felt exhausted for a long time.
Now, two to three months later, my HRV has, on average, doubled and tripled compared to what it was around the time of both shots. Only recently have I seen this upward trend. I’m also, on average, sleeping better. I know it’s impossible to make a direct correlation, bit prior to my shots I was consistently improving fitness, then plateaued from April till July, now I’m back to improving. Considering my reaction to the shot initially and that nothing in my life has changed otherwise (if anything I’m busier now than then), it’s possible to attribute it to the shots and that I am only now getting back to 100%

Hi all, 36/M here. Second dose of Pfizer/Biontech last week.

First dose didn’t have side effects aside for sore shoulder for a couple of days.

Second dose had me sleepy and headachy from roughly 6 to 24h after the vaccine.

Both dose were followed by a string of all-time PRs. I jokingly question if the vaccine is legal doping, or if that has something to do with the fact I scheduled rest weeks after the vaccines and actually took that seriously for a change…

Four million dead worldwide. Do you want to join them?

Because everyone who doesn’t get the vaccine is going to die?

2 Likes

Johnson and Johnson vaccine on Wednesday around noon and then did a short 20 minute run in the afternoon with some sprints at the end. Thursday I did a 60 minute trainer workout with ten 30 second intervals of all out…my average power for those was normal. I feel fine except my arm is just a little sore from the shot.

I (32/M) was absolutely flattened by my 2nd moderna about three weeks ago. It basically felt like I had the flu for 2 days. Took about a week to feel normal again, but now I am feeling great and crushing my rides!

Exact same thing happened to me. I’m glad though because my friends who’ve gotten covid have had it much worse than just a day or two off the bike.

I’ll take losing a couple days of training over possibly losing 2-4 weeks any day.

My response to the 2nd Pfizer vaccine was a couple days with minor flu symptoms. Coincided with a recovery week but I did attempt a vo2 effort and failed miserably. 7 days post vaccine, planned FTP test saw a 15w increase to 285. Guess Pfizer now have a couple of products that lift performance😀

this is a great thread.

i’m 50/M and might get my 1st shot on sunday after a 50 mile RR. i’ll be honest i’m very nervous about the long term vaccine impact and don’t really want to be a pin cushion for years to come. cycling is what i do (like us all) and i don’t want to hurt that. i’m not at the doctor very often (like once in 10 yrs). then weigh that up against long covid. i’m pro doing the right thing but i’m just really hesitant given my lifestyle.

3 Likes

I think it’s pretty much guaranteed that a covid infection would be far worse for your fitness than the vaccine. Even if you only get a mild case. Remeber that this is primarily a respiratory virus. Plus I assume you also like traveling and taking part in cycling events? That’s going to be impeded until the virus rescinds, which is only going to happen with enough people being vaccinated.

3 Likes

Update: Saturday I did an 80 mile group ride, average 20.8 mph, where I was dropped on the last significant climb (I usually don’t get dropped with this group). Then Sunday morning I started a run and after only a quarter of a mile I got really dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out (never happened to me before). I stopped and walked back home. This was day 4 after the vaccine. Day 5, Monday after work, I tried another run and ran 3.3 miles with no issues. I’m hoping day 4 was the worst for me and it’s back to normal now.

I am still in the hesitant crowd.

While I have in the past tried to get it, before I was as hesitant, I wasn’t able to get it. The more time goes on, the more nervous I am (and the less effective it seems to be). Plus after realizing if there are long term effects to the vaccine, I am SOL.

Any of my travel is in my van and prefer to stay away from people. Being forced to quit racing wouldn’t hurt my feelings, I planned on quitting soon anyway. The only crowds I am around is at work as an industrial mechanic, and I don’t even like my coworkers and prefer not to be around them too.

Pretty sure I already had Covid, and it wasn’t bad. I never had those symptoms before, but it didn’t last more than a few days and was way more mild that the flu. I wasn’t able to get a test so I can’t confirm it.

2 Likes

Ok I get that there is a lot of misinformation out there about the vaccine. But rest assured it is VERY safe. There have been many trials. Scientists and doctors are still paying close attention to the effects of the virus and the vaccine. And also consider that by now half the worlds population have received a vaccine by now. That’s over 4 BILLION people. You don’t get more extensive testing then that. And it is still extremely effective. Virtually everybody who lands in the hospital, or dies, because of covid, has not gotten the vaccine. While virtually nobody who has gotten the vaccine is hospitalised. Honestly just get the vaccine and worry about other things instead.

2 Likes