COVID Vaccine Shots and Training

FWIW, my best friend from high school got his J&J shot yesterday and he is 100% today and went for a decent run today.

So not everyone is having side effects…even though it may seem like it from this thread. :sunglasses:

I had an Astrazeneca vaccine and to be honest, it wiped me out for a couple days - i felt awful after it.

Got my second one next Tuesday, so hopefully it’s not as bad!

1 Like

27 hours after first shot. I feel perfectly fine, as I did all day yesterday. So, NO secondary effects for me at all, besides the usual sore arm. Cheers.

1 Like

First dose of Pfizer yesterday afternoon. Sore arm and slept poorly last night, but I had some work-related stress going on as well; so tough to say how much that contributed. The sore arm is already fading. I feel like I could manage an easy spin, but going to hold off until tomorrow.

3 days after Pfizer dose 1, zero side effects. Not even a sore arm (was surprised by the low dose volume compared to the annual flu shot). Did a VO2 workout the morning after, a threshold one the next day, and a 45min easy run this morning; nothing whatsoever to report. Maybe I dreamed that whole vaccination thing?

That’s just what they want you to think…but they are watching you now.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I feel entirely fine. I feel entirely fine. I feel entirely fine. I feel entirely fine.

2 Likes

Pfizer round 1 today - sore arm 2 hours later but nothing else. Mount Goode tonight so we’ll see how that goes (aka if i fail i get to blame the vaccine)

2 Likes

That card is void after 48 hours, so use it wisely.

1 Like

I’m 49, 3.6W/kg. First shot of PFE yesterday morning, it was an off day anyway and I felt fine. Still do ‘feel’ fine, and EHRV told me I was ready for work this morning (though I question the accuracy/validity of EHRV results anyway). I was not ready for work. had Dicks -1 scheduled in a build plan. That didnt work. Bailed after 2 mins of the first interval. switched to Baxter -1 and even that was a no-go without dropping to 90%. There’s obviously some internal inflammation hampering my engine. Hoping it abates after 48 - 72 hours.

2 Likes

Moderna #2 two days ago. Sore arm for a couple days. Did Volunteer yesterday and was glad I don’t bite off anything harder. I’ll probably be back to the usual training tomorrow.

Overall, I’d say my effects were less than with the 1st vaccine, but very mild for both.

Got a J&J shot yesterday morning. Was fine, just a little tired, until bedtime. Was up all night with headache, muscle aches, muscle pain and spasms, and up every hour to pee. It was bad. It was awful. This morning I feel like I’m coming off the worst bender ever! Weak, headache, sore, and dehydrated. My immune system is kicking my ass right now.

I felt pretty normal (with slight lingering headache) 2 days out, did a 3h gravel ride 3 days out with no problem, and on day 5 did threshold over-unders.

Pfizer #2 yesterday. Just like #1 I got a little tired later in the day but no big deal. Unlike #1 woke up today with a big time headache and body aches.

Worth it for sure, but definitely going to take it easy today and maybe tomorrow.

Update: The body aches and headache lasted all day the day after getting #2. Had no interest in even attempting to ride. Woke up day three feeling pretty good. Decided to pass on any structured training and just do an “ez group ride” on Zwift (should have known better :man_facepalming:). Went way too hard and totally fell apart after about 45 minutes.

Took the next day totally off and feel fine today. Will dive back into my training plan this afternoon.

Got J&J on Monday. Nothing immediate, but awful night - chills then sweats and back again. Anxious and couldn’t sleep. Thought it was morning at 1am. RHR way up (20bpm) as well as respiratory rate. Whoop recovery of 1% next day. Skipped my workout (and pretty much everything else). Wednesday, all was back to normal and completed VO2 max interval workout. Seems different for everyone but I’d probably recommend planning to rest if needed the day after.

2 Likes

Just helped 4 people get appt’s in the next couple of days…the Walgreens in our town dropped a ton of appt’s. You could even choose between Moderna and J&J.

1 Like

Done and delighted, as posted earlier. But dismayed that a friend is on the fence about even whether – not politically or religiously motivated, or overtly anti-science. Just wanted to “wait and see,” “to be on safe side.” !!! I held my tongue, which was tied up anyway, and a few days later sent him a link to this thread because it had 350+ anecdotal reports, covering all vaccines. All I added was that I hadn’t seen any regrets. But TBH I haven’t checked every last one.

So: regardless of whether you had no, mild, or heavy side effects, is there anyone here who has been vaccinated who regrets that decision and wouldn’t get vaccinated if they had it to do over again?

My employer is giving $100 gift cards to those who get vaccinated…all the anti-vaxxers are crying that it isnt fair and that they are being bribed to get it…oh please!

7 Likes

I got my second dose of the Pfizer 2 weeks ago. I experienced solid malaise. I’m glad I took the day off of work. To me, it felt like a solid hangover - but a hangover that was perfectly distributed throughout every bit of my body that has sense receptors. I took 600mg of ibuprofen about 4 hours after symptoms arose and it took the edge off greatly. I could have worked, but the quality and quantity of my output would have been poor at best. Training would have been out of the question for me.

1 Like

This thread was a big factor in my decision to get the vaccine. This feels like a rare place where you can get some honest answers and opinions about it.

As for regrets, none here but I’ve only had the first shot. I doubt the second will change that but I do expect some downtime from it.

4 Likes