Could you have gone pro? Apply this foolproof formula to find out

POWER

1. Try all the ftp tests to find out which one calculates the most accurate figure for you. This is the one that gives the highest number, often the ramp test.
  2. Do this test again while fresh. If there’s a bit at the start to deplete anaerobic power, go easy on that bit.
  3. Take this number and adjust it up by 8 %. 5% because you know you could have paced it better, and another 3% because you could have gone harder.
  4. Add 20% to this number to account for pro training and nutrition.

WEIGHT
5. Take your weight when you were 20, and adjust down by five percent for the weight you would lose if you were a pro. (If you were fatter when you were twenty, take your lightest weight between then and now)

FTP
6. Divide power by weight round up to the nearest .2 watts per kilo. This is your ProTP

Could you have gone Pro?
Is your ProTP number bigger than 5.3?
yes? - congrats you could have been a pro
no? - round up to 5.3, congrats you too could have been a pro

Anyone that tells you differently is jealous and a liar.

55 Likes

Alternative formula, very fast to calculate: no :wink: . If you figure there are about 5,000 pro riders out there (across all genders and disciplines), and in the range of 50,000,000 cyclists in the US alone, I figure the margin of error on my formula is under .01%.

12 Likes

yeah but 40,000,000 of those don’t train as hard as you, 8,000,000 aren’t as smart as you, and 1,999,750 aren’t as disciplined or care as much about the marginal gains as you. So when you look at it like that then really you could have been a pro.

10 Likes

Why look at the past?

Work towards the future.

3 Likes

Whoosh

12 Likes

Do you watch Dylan Johnson’s videos? This seems like something BHD would say.

Many people are going to miss the joke, I presume.

18 Likes

There’s a lot of truthiness in your formula Mathew (you jealous liar)

2 Likes

Because our best days are behind us, obvz

2 Likes

This.

1 Like

My weight number would be scary low…was down to 101 pounds at age 20 and 5 foot 4. I think there is an assumption that you were healthy at 20. Your formula needs a few if then and what if statements…Add more complexity

Where do I pick up my rainbow stripes?

4 Likes

LOLZ that power formula gives me a 500w “ftp”… 6.2w/kg! I could’ve been pro!

so many jealous liars everywhere :laughing:

1 Like

Could you have become a Professional speed walker? I figure there are about 325 Million walkers, and like 0 professional speed walkers… so no. QED.

1 Like

5.2 so close but so far.

TIL I’m Greg LeMond

2 Likes

Wow :star_struck: I’m going to be so good as a pro!

In fact, they’d have to change the name of a popular sporting festival to the OlympNicks. :medal_sports:

1 Like

My weight at 20 was around 175 and I was trying to put on weight because I was too skinny

At 51, I weigh 165 and I’d like to drop another 5 because I’m too fat.

Cycling is so stupid…, but I’m pretty sure I could have gone pro.

2 Likes

Well…at least I finally made 5 watt/kg lol. THis formula puts me right at 5.0 lol…

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

buzz-killington

1 Like