Cooldown Power or Heart Rate?

Is there a best percentage of FTP to aim for in an extended cool down or heart rate? If I extend by 5 or 10 mins I aim for around 30-40% of my FTP. When this has been discussed in the pod cast I can’t recollect any suggestion for what to aim for as it’s just extra training load.
Does anyone know different?
What should I aim for in those extra 5 or 10 mins?
Any help or pointers much appreciated and apologies if my lack of “search-fu” is not picking it up…

Personally, I try to stick with whatever TR automatically computes for me. I extend the cooldown when my heart rate is still relatively high with just one minute to go in the workout. I stop the cooldown when my heart rate levels off (usually low Z2 for me, or about 5 minutes of very easy pedaling).

2 Likes

Don’t think you need to be overly specific about the cool down. However long and easy you feel like will do.

1 Like

If you are talking about the times it is suggested to “extend cooldown to add some additional endurance time” they normally recommend the 60-70% range. If you just want to extend your cooldown because you feel you want additional recovery at the end of a hard ride then leave it with whatever TR sets.

1 Like

What are you trying to achieve?

If you’re simply trying to take a couple of extra minutes to recover from the session then stick with the prescribed power. That’s probably similar to the power you were doing inbetween intervals anyway.

If you’re attempting to build some extra endurance or work whilst fatigued then you might consider some zone 2 work.

2 Likes