Completely cut running from training plan

should I cut running from my training plan and only focus on cycling?

I’ve been running for most of my life (30 now). Started supplementing with mtb rides 10 years ago. Bought a road bike 2 years ago mainly because the area I currently live in is perfect for road cycling, and not so much for off-road riding. I still go on mtb rides 2-3 times a month though.

Really enjoying road cycling atm and I’m wondering whether I should completely cut running from my training. I’m curious to see what the effect of only cycling will have.

I currently follow the low volume plans (+ 1-2 gym sessions, 1 or 2 long outdoor rides and 1, sometimes 2, easy 30-45 min runs. Also 1/2 weekly rest days).

My goal: become a stronger cyclist, no competitive aspect.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Why are you looking to cut running? Not enough time on top of cycling and gym? Too much fatigue and it’s impacting your freshness for cycling workouts? Just prefer cycling to running now? Something else?

Without understanding your concerns, it’s hard to have an opinion or offer mitigation thoughts.

1 Like

I’ve come to enjoy cycling more than running. But I have concerns about cutting running because it’s such a good activity for overall health and athleticism. That’s mainly why I posted this question.

Ok, well if you find more enjoyment from cycling then every time you go running, it’s time you’re not cycling so that’s easy to give advice on. They’re not the same activity clearly, but in terms of helping you live a longer healthier life they’ll both do the job. So, do the one you like the most.

I used to be a runner, then I picked up cycling and really got into it. For about 18 months I didn’t want to do anything else, so I didn’t. But eventually the novelty wore off enough that I wanted to get back to other activities. I started going back to the gym and I started going for a run every now and again and kept up a MV training plan. Cycling hasn’t suffered by mixing in other activities and I enjoy the variety. What I will say is that since I don’t run regularly, after I run I’m sore in the legs for a few days, so can’t do it before tough cycling workouts.

Another point to consider is that cycling is very low impact compared to running. If you only do cycling for a long time, you increase risk of bone density issues. It’s part of the reason I started going back to the gym, just to make sure I am looking after bone health. I’m no Nibali, but I don’t want to fall over in and break my hip either!

3 Likes

Running isn’t going to make you a stronger cyclist. If that’s your goal, cut the running for awhile, enjoy riding, and if you want to later, go back to some running. I’m a triathlete first and foremost, but for a few reasons haven’t run since my A race last year in September, focusing only on the bike. I’m confident that when I decide to lace up the running shoes, I’ll be fine after a few weeks, because like you I’ve been doing it basically all my life.

If you want some time away from running, take it.

1 Like

Odds are if he’s been running for 15-20 years, he’s probably not going to experience bone density issues unless he becomes completely sedentary, and even then, that’s way down the road.

1 Like

I cut running out at the end of January to focus on cycling for a while. Was previously running a fair bit - 5-6 days most weeks and total volume of >1000 miles in 2018. Still do gym work for injury prevention and to avoid imbalances, and do the occasional run when on holiday or travelling with work and there isn’t a decent cycling option.

My experience is that it’s made a pretty big difference to my cycling. Obviously I’m doing a lot more volume which helps, but I actually think the biggest difference is the quality of cycling I’m able to do without having those running miles in my legs. I have fresher legs for the hard sessions which means I can really nail them and get more benefit.

1 Like

And after 4 years im at that point i want to reincorporate running again :stuck_out_tongue: just looking through the forum to get some ideas on how to reincorporate some runs again. Thinking 2x week 20 mins and build up (trail)

1 Like

I was in a similar position to you (though I only stopped running for around 6 months to focus on an bike event).

I wanted to run a 50km trail race and gave myself 6 months to get ready. I followed Jonathan’s advice from the podcast and started very slow. I began with a 5km loop and for the first week I ran 1km of it, walked the rest, 2nd week did 2km etc.

After I built up to 5km over a month or so, I then started a run plan. All went super well, I didn’t get any injuries and I completed the race with no issues. I also kept up with my MV plan and gym sessions other than during the taper week for the running event.

Good luck with your running progress!

1 Like

I’m in a similar situation. I enjoy running and want to use it for cross training but I am mostly cycling at the moment. I’m glad to see that other cyclists are incorporating some running as well. I feel like less of an outlier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, much appreciated! A slow and easy build up really seems to be the name of the game in this case

I try to do at least one 3 mile run per week so that I can always go out and do a 5k with the family without hating life afterwards and to help with bone density. Often, I’ll do it in the evening on a day that I ride easy in the morning, or vice versa, so that way it doesn’t really interfere with cycling.

2 Likes