Coffee - Show us your set up

Snap: also currently set up with Moccamaster, Aeropress & V60, with the Wilfa Svart as a grinder.
All important addition of water filter too, as some mitigation against grim North London hard water…

Can’t really go too wrong with this once you’ve dialled in the grind. Getting me and my partner through lockdown and WFH!

4 Likes

Yes! My favorite local roaster sells a 1 lb re-fill tin for $9 it’s great coffee too.

1 Like

This is the same setup as I am using. For me I get good smooth coffee, but still feel I am not getting the most out of the beans.

What recipe are you using?
What setting do you have the grinder on?

2 Likes

Does that have milk underneath or is it full of coffee?

Double espresso pulled on top of a mug of hot water

Edited to add:

You can do it the opposite way but I prefer it this way because the crema doesn’t get disturbed as much and while probably subtle I think it taste better.

In the summer I will do a similar thing sometimes where I put milk straight from the fridge in a cappuccino cup and pull the shot onto that. It makes a much cooler drink but the taste is great and it’s easy to drink, plus if you use a clear mug or highball glass it looks really cool as the two mix.

Don’t people get excommunicated for doing things like that? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s not everyone’s thing but I like having a nice full mug in the morning (or two). It also stays warmer longer while I’m eating breakfast, getting ready, reading the news etc.

2 Likes

Nah, this is still legit. However, once you start adding caramel flavor to it…
Once it the US I ordered a coffee in a store, and they ask me what flavor. Duh, coffee flavor…

4 Likes

Ah ok. Plus you have a naked portafilter going on there, that is also cool.
I prefer just the espresso. This morning even got a ristretto out of it, because the grinder was too fine for the new coffee beans. But that was also good, so kept the settings for the rest of the day.

The naked portafilter is neat, I enjoy using them. But it also means that almost all of my mugs fit underneath there. Only a couple of really tall ones don’t but those are probably over 20oz mugs.

1 Like

I think they like to be called “bottom less portafilters” now…

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Only a couple of weeks into the Wilfa: generally going for somewhere around the “aero” of aeropress for 36g of coffee to ~600ml of water (60g/litre). I’m still using the “half pot” drip rate setting on the moccamaster for that. Tend to give a small stir of the grounds during the bloom, and a quick “wobble” to the cone towards end of brewing to help get a flat bed.

Had started off using the Square Mile grind setting for the Mocca, which was quite a bit coarser (around “filter” on the Wilfa), but have found for 500-700ml brews, I need it to be finer, otherwise is just underextracted.

The coffee is generally “good” - I think my standards are just high now - but it’s not gonna be as excellent as a well-made batch filter from a really good cafe thats ground its beans using commercial equipment, then used purified water etc. Although even “good” is still, in my experience, at least equivalent to the sort of filter you get in plenty of cafes.

You’re never gonna quite get the same clarity of flavour - the grind consistency just isn’t there - but dial it in with good beans and you should still be able to get a solid 7/10 cup.

1 Like

Still need some more practice with the pouring skills but getting there.

6 Likes

I’ve been doing lattes for 8 years now.

I have never learn how to do art…

I’ve tried but always give up…

:sob:

I make lattes in the morning, often after training, and there’s no art in me at that time of the day.

1 Like

The trick is in the frothing, if things are not working most likely you are putting in too much air.

Most likely I just pour the milk and froth in all in one shot because I really need that coffee.

Practice practice practice, been trying latte art for years and I still pour bad art occasionally.
As you said a bit too much stretch and air

Been on a swan kick recently and still a long way to go to get it nailed.

7 Likes

Had not seen the swan before, nice.