Coeur d'Alene 70.3 Relay

Hey I thought I would put this out to the forum. I’m looking for some re-con information. I’m riding in the Coeur D’Alene 70.3 at the end of June as part of a relay team. I’m currently doing SweetSpot base, build and will finish with the century plan for training. I live in Vancouver🇨🇦 so I have plenty of climbing areas and will be finishing the rest of my season with 3 Fondos.
I’m new to cycling and this will be my first event. Does anyone have any tips on prep and/or what to expect for the cycle portion of Coeur D’alene?

I’ve never done the 70.3, but I did the Fondo last year. A look at the course… You’ll spend a large part of your race on 95 which is a busy north south route. There will be a fair bit of climbing, and depending on the conditions, possibly a lot of wind. The Fondo went clockwise around the lake and came back into town on 95. Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you for the info!

I’m frequently in Coeur d’Alene for work, if there is anything you need scoped out just let me know! I’ve never riden over there, but ran the CDA half marathon a few times.

1 Like

Thank you! That sounds amazing! I will definitley be in touch! :blush:

I was there a few years ago and a cheer leading role for when my wife did the half.

the bike leg does involve some hill climbing but the slopes are not that big of a deal. (its not like climbing out of Pemberton back to whistler. Like one of the posters have said… you could face head winds heading out on the highway heading west, but I think what really disappointed me, was when we got to the turn around , you think you will have an easy ride back into town. Not so, it seems like a never ending series of long rollers, so you still have some climbing to do so to speak… When my wife did it there was no wind. the day before when I road it there was a solid wind.

But overall any slope you deal with isn’t that hard.

Thank you! So fingers crossed for no wind! It makes me feel better that my prep outdoors around Vancouver’s mountainscape this spring will be very helpful. I really can’t get out of not climbing at any point around here :slightly_smiling_face:

Curious, if you were to ride the course outside of an event are there any places to stop and fill water bottles? Bathroom?

Near the turn around there is a service station. Good luck

I’m off to Spain for May 4th ITU aquabike. 3km river swim and 120km bike

Oh wow! Sounds amazing! Good luck!

Thank you!