Chain Waxing Tutorial

Yes I will be using an air line from my air compressor to make sure the chain is completely dry before it goes into the wax.

I will be re waxing on Monday as I have outdoor rides planned for Saturday and Sunday, that should put the chain at around 250 miles since the first wax.

2 Likes

I experienced 105-level chains becoming rusty, too. With XT/Ultegra level chains, they do NOT get rusty. I cannot tell the material differences, but I am quite sure that there is a difference as I experienced it several times. First I thought it was happening by chance, but now I am quite sure it has to do with the material they use.

Following on from my last post, I dont think I need to re wax yet. The chain was running so smooth yesterday at some points I had to double check my Di2 battery was not flat because changing gear was almost unnoticeable.

I had used Squirt in the past and can honestly say MSW takes things to a whole different level. For the record I am using a Dura Ace chain and have not ridden in the wet.

3 Likes

What are people reusing for this? I’ve heard some let the MSW harden in the croc pot and simply reuse the leftovers for the next round.

How are people disposing of the used mineral spirits? I’m considering giving this a go just want to figure out exactly what to buy

I keep the used spirits in a Mason jar. If it becomes too gunked up I run it through a coffee filter. It doesn’t clean it up completely but good enough for me. And since I only use it on new chains it basically lasts forever.

2 Likes

I spoke to a buddy and he uses the Super Secret Chain Wax, how is that compared to a traditional immersion wax, or is it meant to be used more as a maintenance between dips?

1 Like

Good idea to use a coffee filter.

I just put a big candle in a crockpot and added 1% teflon powder and 0.2% MoS2. And don’t forget to take the wick out.

Previous mix I had added lamp oil to make the wax less brittle and no need to break the chain in after waxing. But chains where very noisy and not happy with it. This time with just the candle wax it is working much better, chains stay clean and silent with minimal cleaning between rides.

How long are they staying silent, in a matter of time or miles?

I have used one chain for 350 km over 7 or so rides and it is still good. There is a buttery smooth period at the begin that you might quickly loose, but after that there is just a nice smooth sound, nothing like dry metal squeaking.

I have now switched to a second shorter chain as I switched cassettes and currently it is on for 150 km.

Silca Super Secret works well as long as it goes on a clean chain. It’s a paraffin wax but has a carrier that needs to evaporate unlike a hot wax which is ready immediately. You can use it solo or to top up a hot wax chain. It just needs time to dry and let the carrier evaporate. I use it when traveling.

It cleans up great with hot water just like hot wax when it is time to reapply.

Also a tip is not too run it for too long and invest in 2 or 3 chains depending on the miles you do ( this way you can grab a chain mid week and wax all of them in the weekend ). I change them every 150km the wear on your chain and chainring is minimal this way and drives down your Total cost of your drivetrain.

1 Like

I have three chains that I will be rotating, have not decided on how often to rewax, so far I have 350 km out of one chain and 120 km from the current one. I mostly go out in dry weather, sometimes the ground is wet and muddy. Yesterday’s 60 km ride was all paved surface, but went through some sand patches near the dunes and also had some mud in the woods. I had to clean the mud and sand of the frame afterwards, but the drivetrain looked like this after the ride without any cleaning:

I do the same, never seem to log more then 150 miles per wax.

1 Like

150mi seems really really short, hardly seems worth the trouble of waxing then, cause I get close to that with RRG. The stuff I was reading had me under the impression that wax could go for hundreds of miles (depending on conditions of course)

1 Like

My current MSWaxed chain has seen over 250 dry outdoor miles and is still running beautifully, I have almost reached the point to where I am going to give it a re-wax just for the sake of it.

It Is short and you can go longer but the time it takes to just take off your chain put it in the hot wax and take it out is just really short ( the only thing that takes long is melting the hot wax ) have 2 or three chains so you can ride a whole week and wax them on a sunday . I don’t pre clean apart from wiping with a cloth before waxing so it is really not labour intensive in my opinion( and saves a lot of money , i used to do about 3000km on a chain now i do at least 10000 km)

I don’t understand how people get so few miles out of a chain (I see people mention 3000-5000km before they switched to wax). I’m not light, decent FTP, and my last DA chain went 8500km before barely getting to .5% wear. That’s doing my RRG once a week routine and not rotating chains.

1 Like

i guess i was using to much abrasive chain cleaner :see_no_evil:

yeah I dont understand why im seeing such short life, when it starts to get loud I will rotate it out. I have 4 chains I wax at a time and 2 bikes. I noticed my 1x set up seems to get louder faster also. Im 210lbs but dont really mash the gears, and everything is di2

I also seem to always do my 4 chains on my rest week. So it works, if the worst thing in my life is taking off a chain every other week, I am going to be ok. And its a great chance to clean the bike.

1 Like

Looking at the testing for MSW for example they are getting some crazy long intervals from what I can tell.

Speaking of which, for Molten Speed Wax vs Silca in a bag, anyone have a preference? ZFC only has a review on MSW which seems to be getting matched by the liquid Super Secret, so wondering if the wax bag of Super Secret would be even better

1 Like