Brits' view on BBC sports personality of the year?

Carefully cultivated? What do you think he’s actually like then?

Not sure I would say it’s cultivated from his end but you can see how he probably has a better relationship with journalists who may be more inclined to support him.

I’ve not met him, so I don’t know, he might be like this all the time. The Cycling Podcast people were saying he was just too nice to win the Tour.
On the other hand, there is a Rouleur video (the first “Chat Stevens” one) where David Millar tells a story where the track team were struggling to beat a particular Aussie, and Rod Ellingworth comes into the meeting and says “We need to take him out. Who’s volunteering?” Everyone looks around and then G says he’ll do it. Turns out it was supposed to be a joke, and they lose to that Aussie the next day, but it shows that under the jokes and the smiles there’s a hard nosed competitor who’s prepared to do whatever it takes to win stuff (for himself and for the team). Maybe he’s the nicest guy in the world off the bike, but on it… :wink:

This reminds me of the old joke, Lennox Lewis is one punch away from being Canadian :slight_smile:

If you want to see a story of picking and choosing your country read this - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/gary-graham-scotland-call-up-england-squad-turns-his-back-autumn-internationals-newcastle-falcons-a8629611.html.

Look at the quotes about the country he now wants to play for.

1 Like
  1. Chris Froome wasn’t nomintaed to the title.
  2. Geraint Thomas was nomintaed for the title.
  3. The British public voted that Geraint Thomas deserved the title the most.

Undoubtledly Chris Froome is the greatest stage racer of his generation, but he is not popular with the british public. He will never win that award as it is the public who decide.

Froome knew that he was never going to achieve his potential with a Kenyan racing license, and was very open that he needed a European one. He used his decsendecy to enable him to gain a British license. Chris Froome hasn’t inpsired lots of British kids to ride their bikes. Mark Cavendish, Bradley Wiggins, Geraint Thomas, Chris Hoy, Laura Trott, Katie Archibald, Jason Kenny etc, etc, etc have.

1 Like

Lennox Lewis won SPOTY, and Greg Rusedski won ahead of TimHenman !

I really think it’s just because Froome isn’t that likeable! Nothing to do with how he qualifies or how the British public do (or don’t) take to that. If the personal history was so important, they wouldn’t be so quick to try and claim Irish sports and film stars as “their own” :grinning:

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone. It generated a bit more interest than I though it would! :slight_smile:

On a personal level, I agree that Thomas comes across as far better interviewee and therefore more likeable. But I can’t help that feel that Froome should receive more recognition - any other athlete who achieves what he has would probably walk into a knighthood. Although the suspicions around cycling probably make that more difficult.

I agree with the comment about Lucy Charles as well. On that note, did Chrissie W. ever get a mention?

As a Brit who’s lived outside the UK for 15 years now, I wonder if the man on the street would consider me ‘British’ enough to represent the UK? (Clearly a hypothetical question unless some bizarre disease wipes out every UK runner or triathlete!) I’d also be equally happy to represent my ‘adopted’ country of Japan (same conditions apply!)

That would depend how much you won :wink:

I think it’s great that G won but would’ve loved to have seen Tyson Fury at least get top 3, if not win it!
Formula 1 is boring (and I consider myself an F1 fan…) and Harry Kane had the worst golden boot ever!

Haha - I’d be very unlikely to be well-liked then (inspite of my sparkling personality :wink: )

1 Like

I was surprised Hamilton didn’t win based on his performance this year with what I don’t think was the best equipment in F1. Certainly says some things that I don’t agree with or think “what the f*** did he say/do”.

My son absolutely loves Chris Froome and was a bit perturbed that someone else was in yellow. Granted he is 5 but he is a big Sky fan and pretends to be Froome when out riding.

1 Like

Highlight of the evening for me? Billy Monger. He’s only just old enough to buy a round but I’d like a pint and a chat with that young man. I wish that young man every success moving forward. He’s already achieved great things in my opinion.

2 Likes

We have a British person who is a

World Champion (x5)
World Cup (x6 overall, 37 rounds)
European Champion
National Champion (x6)
Junior World Champion
Junior European Champion

and has not been mentioned yet on this thread or by the BBC.

Rachel Atherton was mentioned in the third post of this thread by @paulgrav

2 Likes

i apologise!

Froome also had a cloud over him regarding medicinal drug use, whether the allegations were true or not.

She was also mention on the night, possibly by LY?

In addition to what’s been said above,Britain has a real thing for the underdog.

It’s almost the case that Froome is too good. So when ”plucky" Thomas comes along and wins against all the odds, everyone votes for him.

There is also the local factor. Everyone in Wales will vote for G same as everyone in Scotland, voting for Andy Murray. Everyone in Bury probably would have voted for Simon Yates. Froome doesn’t have a local and that counts against him as much as anything else.

Personally,I couldn’t care less about the sports personality and,I suspect,neither does Froome

1 Like