Block periodization. What comes after the 6 week block?

I wanna try block periodization. My question is, after my 6 week block of
Week 1 : 5x VO2 Max
Week 2-6 : 1x Vo2 Max and 4x Easier workouts.

What after? Can I do block periodization back to back to back all year? Just keep adding 6 week blocks?

Thanks in advance.

Back soon

1 Like

Polarized Training with Stephen Seiler, PhD | EP#177 That Triathlon Show

I think you may have meant to post this on the Dylan Johnson Polarised vs Sweet Spot thread… (cc @mcneese.chad )

I’d read Joe Friel’s book if you want to learn about periodization schemes.

Yeah, this is some kind of mess. I won’t do anything without more direction, but it sure seem to be different than what I suspect was intended.

Hi Chad

I meant to create a link, but copy the whole post from the search.

I can edit it out if that is helps others later on

I should also say

Thanks for the 2% reductions :slight_smile:

Yeah, please edit to get just what you wanted. There’s so much above, I have no idea what really belongs.

Not sure about the 2% reductions (maybe I’m missing it in the weeds above)?

Errrrr… Pretty sure that wasn’t meant to answer my question. Very confused. I think indeed it was meant for another thread

I meant this link, i have edited out the rubbish from my incorrect posting

Polarized Training Workouts & Experiences (80/20)

I think Gurk is referring to this video or a similar discussion. They have discussed it on Ask a Cycling Coach.

@Wirt It seems like this block is followed by a taper and then an event. I don’t know if this is the best think to do in the winter but some people respond to this kind of training very well and if you are into a science experiment then I don’t see a problem.

Dylan’s version is also known as crash training. Chad’s version is a bit more relaxed.

There are studies on this showing big gains. I think the Rønnestad study is probably the most famous.

1 Like

Ahh gotcha. It sort of fits because I wanna be 85% fit for occasional PR year round instead of preparing for specific race events or anything like that. I would love to race but I don’t think we’re gonna be there yet in 2021, sadly.

I think one of the most successful years in my bike career was 2018 where I mostly did VO2max intervals on trainer 3 times a week and recovery / endurance rides outside couple times a week with occasional PR hunting when I felt good or did 2 VO2max rides instead of 3 on a week.

I saw big gains and my FTP was highest it’s ever been at ~280. Too bad I wasn’t 65kg back then lol

@Wirt Hi did you ever try this approach? Been reading up on the studies of Rønnestad, and must say im very inspired.

Personally i have done a large aerobic block since new years, averaging about 12-15 hours per week, usually with 1-2 treshold sessions in there.

My first season goal is about 8 weeks away, so i now want to switch mode and go into a “peak performance” phase, focusing on Vo2max and anaerobic work (im sort of a puncher / sprinter).

From what ive read there are atleast 3 guinding principle findings in these different studies:

1. Block periodization is superior to even distribution ( i.e 4-5 hard sessions week 1 and 5, 1 hard session rest of weeks.
  2. Microintervals are superior to long (especially treshold) intervalls: 45/15 or 30/15 second intervalls and rest have been shown to yield more time above 90% max heartrate, and as such likely increased stimulus to the heart.
  3. Fast start intervals (slightly higher intensity at the start of longer intervals, or higher itensity the first couple of micro intervals) have been shown to also result in longer time at max heart rate, and as such probably more stimulus.

I am planning on incorporating this into an 8-week program, with two cycles of High intensity blocks, using a combination of intervall sessions between 45/15 intervals, some 6x5 minutes or 6x6 minutes, incorporating some fast start intervals, and add low intensity aerobic work, maintaining volume of 10-15 hours per week.

Anyone else have any tips to really boost shape and performance from a good foundation in 8 weeks?