Big event. Wheel problem. What should I do?

I’ve got a big fondo event tomorrow (some of you probably already guessed what it is), and my rear wheel is still in the shop because the delivery of a very hard to track down part is running very late. I’m in a dilemma over what wheel combinations to go with tomorrow.

The wheel in the shop is part of a Zipp 303 pair. I’ve also got a pair of Easton EA90s which I use as training wheels. I’ve been running deep front shallow rear out of necessity since the wheel is in the shop. Should I do it for the event as well, or should I swap my front wheel? What would you do?

The only issue I have with that combo, besides that it looks kinda silly, would be crosswinds. Although forecasts say that wind should be fine for the next two days.

Ride the mullet. If you’ve been training with it and it works OK, that’s probably the best bet at this point.

3 Likes

No way I would change a thing the day before an event unless I absolutely had to.

2 Likes

There’s no reason not to run the mullet. You’ll still get larger chunk of the aero benefit. More importantly you’ll not be messing with your setup right before a big event.

1 Like

100%……don’t change anything tonight. You’ll be fine with the mutt setup.

1 Like

+1. Most of the aero benefit from deep wheels comes from the front. You’ll be fine.

1 Like

Crosswinds aren’t going to be worse on the front wheel by having a shallow wheel in rear.

No one cares. People have to swap out wheels late for all sorts of reasons. I rode a 90mm deep front with a box wheel rear in a tri last year because my race wheel was flat race morning and I wasn’t confident it’d hold air when I pumped it back up. I got exactly one comment and it was something like “lose a wheel? Sucks man, good thing you had a backup.”

2 Likes

303s aren’t that deep. Won’t really matter in crosswinds.

But more to the point, why would having an even shallower rear wheel make things worse?

1 Like

Ride the 303 front.

No reason to use a crappy less aero front wheel when the front matters more for aero.

Have fun

1 Like

Thanks everyone, point taken - not going to mess with things last minute.

3 Likes

Good luck and have fun!

And fuel.