Bibshorts Quality/Price Range

I’ve come to love Lusso, made just down the road from me in Manchester. Well priced, comfy and durable. On my fourth pair at the mo.

Xmas gift to myself was an Eliel bib and jersey. Very impressed. Just did 5 hours and never had that type of comfort. Came here to post this exact discount code.

2 Likes

Yeah…Eliel is #1 for me. Leguna seca is thier mid-tier training bib. Does its job. Their el capitan bibs are the best. Soooooooooo good. Jerseys too. I havent bought a bad peice of kit from them ever. Very durable too.

My second choice is Assos because their pecker pocket design is undeniably the best in the game. Their quality is great.

Heres my take on cycling clothing: buy 2 sets of bibs/jerseys and buy 1 set of thermal gear. If they suck, oh well, atleast you have gear to ride in and then you know what you want to buy next time. When its time to buy, buy winter gear in the summer, summer gear in the winter(50-80% off) and let it sit in your closet until its time.

I really like my Gobik bibs. I like my Pactimos more (and they are comparable in price when Pactimo runs a sale, which is fairly common), but both are good. (Tangent: my two gobik jerseys are my favorites.)

Yep, I can ride all day in their thinner chamois, but the thicker pads only work when the bib fit is perfect. I lost enough weight this year that the large which was good in March, is unridable now. I have enough bibs that it wasn’t a problem, but someone’s going to get an ebay deal at my expense or I could just chunk out again.

I think this is true of any bib.

I might be a bit biased since Pas Normal Studios is from our neighbouring country, but holy hell their quality is good!

Now, with that said, they are expensive as hell, but they got a good “Index” section on the website for good deals, and their customer service is out of this world when it comes to getting stuff fixed, sorted, exchanged etc. Always a pleasure to deal with.

Their Solitude range bibs are fantastic!

Their bibs are also made to be incredibly tight when standing up straight, which translate to perfect fit on the bike.

Also really really like their fit, since they are a bit shorter in the fit, you never get those saggy pockets in the back…

If fit and fabric quality is important, look no further. Also they have a very very clear description of their production line, where everything is made etc on the website. I like to know how my stuff is made - Our Supply Chains - Pas Normal Studios

They also have a big range of “Off-race” clothes (normal off bike clothes) that also carry the good quality.

2 Likes

What has been your experience with Eliel sizing? True to advertised? Too small / large? I’ve had good luck with Ornot (NorCal), but looking for variety

this made me chuckle…Ive never been so hard up for bibs that I was looking to buy them second hand! haha

Yeah but they do sell and it’s not like I’m going to use them again so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

Used bibs. Good condition. Only slightly tainted. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I like what you did there! :rofl:

3 Likes

almost belongs in jokes and memes…

True as advertised. Im 5’10 165/170lbs and where a medium across their whole line. I only have their race fit clothing. Cant comment on their relaxed fits.

Thanks for the reply. I’m just a tad taller than you but same weight, so medium works for me, too. I’m trying to avoid my Castelli experience: good bibs, but you need to get a size larger than you normally would. I’m at the point where I’m going to relegate mine to trainer-only duty because the fit is too snug.

For long trainer rides specifically (3+ hours is long in my books) do you guys prefer trainer specific bibs or endurance oriented bibs?

My normal shorts are all the narrow pad width Endura Pro SLs but I have a pair of Castelli Insiders. I prefer the Enduras, they don’t have the ventilation and have a thinner pad than the Insiders but wondering if I should just get another pair of the Enduras, try a nicer inside specific short or maybe try an endurance short?

Bought some Castelli Endurance 3 bibs on sale at $70/ea (so ~60% off and cheaper than the Rapha Cores that they’re replacing and I bought those on sale too).

So far I really like the chamois, the breathability, and they are noticeably lighter.

Can’t comment on longevity (I only bought them 2 months ago), but they are not nearly as stretchy as the Rapha bibs so I’m much more gentle when putting them on.

Last noteworthy thing… I bought 2 black pairs and 2 navy; the two different colors have different countries of origin.

1 Like

If you don’t care about colors, just get Rapha bibs on sale. I’ve gotten Pro Team II bibs for $105, Cargo Bibs for $115, etc. Even Winter Bibs for $105. Some are non-ideal colors (dark green, maroon, etc.), but some have been black.

Don’t skimp on bibs. I wasted $ two years ago buying cheap ali bibs and they are extremely uncomfortable. Ended up just tossing them.

3 Likes

How does rapha fit? True to size

Bibs are definitely a YMMV piece of kit - you and I have talked about this before re: the black bibs. Would have loved black bibs to work out, but it was too painful for me as well (more after than during the ride)! Depending on the type of ride, the mid-range or higher bibs from Assos, Rapha, Castelli and Hincapie have been comfortable for me.

2 Likes