Belgian Waffle Ride - Cedar City, Utah 2020

what tires are you running and how are they treating you?

Maxxis rambler 40’s. I’ve got some 38’s also and I think either would be fine. We checked out the sandy sector driving this afternoon and it’s a few miles with a handful of pretty bad spots. My buddy got out and rode that section on 38’s and put a foot down a couple times, but it’s all doable. I have not seen anything on the course that’s too extreme, but that fact that it all happens over 125 miles will make for a pretty extreme day. I’d err on the side of more rubber, the single track at the end will require some attention that far into the race.

1 Like

Correction from earlier post - in my original pre-ride of the last 20 miles of the course, we had a bad route loaded and missed the hardest part of the climb. We rode it today and it’s much tougher than what I previously reported. I still think 38’s are fine, but you’ll want all the gearing you can get on that climb. It’s pretty loose and steep. I couldn’t stand and keep traction, so forced to sit and grind a really low cadence with 1:1 gearing. It was hard with fresh legs, it’s gonna be really tough with over 100 miles in the legs.

I’m sick with jealousy. Have a marvelous time!

Really fun race and crazy strong field. Keegan Swenson rode almost the entire race without a front brake and won in a sprint finish against Peter Stentina. A bunch of other big names for the men and women and just a lot of really strong amateurs. They had a lot of things in place to mitigate covid risk, but the racing felt pretty normal. Riding the neutral start section with face masks was almost a bonus with the cold temps.

3 Likes
3 Likes

My mask/neck gator came in handy on the dusty sectors too!
Such a fun event, hopefully they do it again and again. That late climb was tough but rideable, I loved the single track section, such a nice finale! I rode 40’s which were perfect for the majority of that course.

1 Like

Did you wind up running the 28s and how did that go?

Since I didn’t go to Utah (looks like it was amazing!), I did a mega ride on my own to cap the year off in style.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/SWY5wuJfIab

1 Like

If anyone did that course on 28’s, I am pretty sure they did some walking. You could have picked your way through the single track on 28’s, but I don’t think you’d make it through some of the sandy or really loose sections. Lots of gravel sections where you would be much faster on a wider tire and there was not too much road where a narrower tire might be an advantage. 38-40 was a good choice.

1 Like