Anyone have the Neo 2T?

My understanding was that drivetrain efficiency was a fixed number, given that frictional losses are constant, and proportional losses due to drivetrain (in)efficiency should actually decline with increasing power output (i.e., 5 watts at 300w is a higher percentage loss than 5w at 500w). I think that’s why they talk about savings for pulleys or chains in watts, not percentages of power input.

Some interesting stuff on these 2 links (one of which was already posted). I think if you see specific wattage, it’s likely given at an average output (probably something like 200w), otherwise, frictional losses are indeed proportional. As power goes up, friction and strain on bearing and the chain also goes up, so power loss goes up as well.

This is about choosing gear sizes related to friction loss, same concept applies to increasing power I think:

The smaller gears magnify the chain tension which must directly magnify the link bearing friction and thus the losses.

It should be noted that many models of cycling speeds use a default value of 3% for total drivetrain losses. The standard model used in the simulations reported in this section used the data published by Friction Facts that suggests that at the level of power output of an average-strength bikepacker, a more accurate value is about 5% (including chain, derailleur pulleys, bottom bracket, and pedals). Of course, these losses are only realized when pedaling, which is why the pie charts in the <Types of Resistance page show that only 4% of the total resistance experienced across the entire route is due to drivetrain losses.

3 Likes

My Neo 2T packed up after 9 months so now on my second :sob:

1 Like

What happened?

I’m getting the sudden urge to put on a new chain… :sweat_smile:

Just stopped working. All the lights when out and no resistance. Phoned Garmin, they said it was not repairable and I’ve just received a new one

Oh no, do you have an older trainer you can use in the meantime?

I was without it for 2 weeks but am doing offseason weights so only needed bike in the gym for warm up and cool down. Gym bike is also a wattbike so not too bad!

1 Like

Does anyone know when the Neo 2T is coming back into stock? I have been checking daily for two months now :frowning:

I thought clever training just got some back in but they probably sold already

Thanks! I will take a look!

https://www.clevertraining.com/tacx-neo-2t-direct-drive-smart-trainer-black?utm_campaign=575893_10.22.20%20Back%20in%20stock&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Clever%20Training&bxid=244120445&dm_i=5EBN,CCD1,41CCJH,1A83F,1

Still in stock as of now

I got my 2T in the last month, and I had a few questions for other owners and see if what I am experiencing is normal.

I have noticed it has a decent amount of vibration in the pedals when under load (200-250W). Is this just the magnets and how the resistance works? Definitely not a smooth feeling as my old Kickr Snap.

The other issue I have noticed in in Zwift, the changes are extremely rapid so for example cresting a hill the change from a positive gradient to a negative one causes the resistance to just let go and almost feels like it is slipping. I am not sure if this is normal and the switch from my power to it powering itself down the hill is that abrupt? I guess I need to try unplugging it and remove the powered downhill option.

I had the same issues when I demoed one from my LBS: vibrations around that same power level and also the abrupt changes in resistance. I tried it for some vo2 stuff and the resistance hit so drastically it was nearly impossible to maintain cadence. Glad I got to try it first because I hated it

I haven’t had too much of an issue in ERG mode, it does change quickly but that doesn’t bother me too much. I find it more annoying that it hits 2s before the interval actually starts and ends 2s early, catches me off guard sometimes.

2 Likes

To me the way the intervals came on was what I imagine it’s like being kicked by a horse, and yes they did come on early. I’d rather have it 2 seconds late so you can anticipate it but the overzealous starts and immediate spikes in resistance were a no for me, but what you’re describing sounds like my experience

That’s how it’s sent to the trainer, the 2T is just responsive enough for you to notice it.

1 Like

That’s not normal, you should check out https://tacxfaqx.com/ and see if you can find your issue there.

3 Likes

The so-called “trainer difficulty” setting in Zwift should help with that, see Using the “Trainer Difficulty” Setting in Zwift | Zwift Insider

The TD will impact that to a degree.

Importantly, since it doesn’t seem to be stated…

• [edit: I see it is mentioned above, but this still serves to point out that it is a factor and will impact the feel. The Neo is likely the fastest response trainer in the world, especially notable in the 2T version. This means that grade changes are likely happing faster than other trainers. So if you are comparing to other ones, this is a key difference, and something to welcome really, since it is likely more close to outside conditions.]

we need to mention something VERY important about the Neo trainers. They all feature “downhill drive” that means it will actually propel the flywheel forward, in an effort to more accurately simulate the change in pedal force from our acceleration down a grade, like we get outside.

That propulsion will make holding power more difficult, again just like outside. It will be a more dramatic difference in feel when you have higher TD setting. So keep that in mind for “simulation” usage on the Neo.

2 Likes