Any good audio books? Biographies/ cycling adventures?

The Tom Simpson biography “Put me back on my bike” by William Fotheringham,
the Jacques Anquetil biography “Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape” by Paul Howard,
and since you already read “The Rules”, I can also recommend “The Hardmen”.

1 Like

My friend did the narration for The Tour According to G. I listened just for his voice!

1 Like

The Racer. David Millar. Brilliant audiobook. I’ve played it about 4 times over the past couple of years.

1 Like

A Life Without Limits - Chrissie Wellington is very good, but the second book she did (To The Finish Line) really doesn’t work as an audiobook.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s available in audiobook format, but Road to Valor is an excellent book. Same goes for Jens Voigt’s Shut Up Legs.

2 Likes

Gironimo! by Tim Moore is entertaining and I believe is on Audible. I don’t know if Phil Keoghan’s (Amazing Race guy) film Le Ride was ever was in book format, but it is also pretty good.

1 Like

I enjoyed A Dog In A Hat by Joe Parkin, but doesn’t look like it’s an audiobook. It’s about an American who goes to race in Belgium.

I recently read The River by Peter Heller. It’s not cycling related but it was riveting and definitely involves adventure (canoe trip through northern Canada) if that’s your thing. Looks like there is an audio version available.

1 Like

Im not an audiobook man, but Cav‘s books have been a light and enjoyable read. Also, not directly cycling related, but The Boys in the Boat was absolutely brilliant. Rowing people are crazy people just like us.

1 Like

Too cool! It’s very well done!

Great audio book, Obsessive compulsive cycling disorder by Dave Barter. Fantastic book, seriously funny well worth a listen.

1 Like

I have enjoyed reading Tim Moore’s books. They are quite humorous as they follow a non-cyclist’s attempts to do some rather strenuous rides like TdF.

In terms of non-books, I really like The Cycling podcast with Lionel Birnie, Richard Moore and Daniel Friebe with a weekly look and chat at all sorts of racing, and they do other spin offs too.

1 Like

I like audio books about adventures. I get the books from Audible and download them with my premium account. I use the Audio Recorder Mac from AudFree to save them for offline listening. So convenint. I can get them on my other apps.

1 Like

The Rider is on Audible. Just put it on my list.

I know that OP was looking for cycling books… if you want a different genre / style, I’ve listened to the subtle art of not giving a F**K and i’m currently listening to Barack Obama’s autobiography.

Also - would highly recommend listening to your audio books at 1.5x speed!

I was going to give the Subtle Art of not giving a F@k a listen, but I’ve been put off by the terrible reviews! I have just finished listening to Man’s Search For Meaningby Viktor Frankl. I hesitate to recommend it, as it goes into some detail about his time in a Nazi concentration camp and although it is ultimately uplifting, it might not be easily received by some.

1 Like

I enjoyed the Subtle Art, it wasn’t anything terribly new, but good nonetheless. I have just raided my parents book collection and claimed the Viktor Frankl - I’ve read positive reviews.

1 Like

Free country by George Mahood is a really good cycling based book

1 Like

I’ll give it a try. I can always return it in audible and get the credit back!

1 Like

Moods of Future Joys and Thunder and Sunshine by Alastair Humphreys

Unbelievable story and entertaining read.

Iron War by Matt Fitzgerald

2 Likes