Any auto body painters or techs, train?

Hey all, I work at a collision center as a lead painter. By the end of the day my feet calves and legs are tired. Between prepping cars, spraying all the cars, in and out of the booth all day, etc… it makes it tough to have the extra energy to Get on the trainer. Just curious if anyone in the same industry experiences the same thing and how do you cope? Thanks

There’s probably not a good solution to your exact question.

I’d recommend an alternative - work out before you wear yourself out.

1 Like

I’ve been a bike tech for years. Not as demanding perhaps but just being on your feet all day, usually on concrete doesn’t really lend to great feeling legs by days end. I started doing all my workouts in the AM, at least the hard ones and it works for me. The trade off is being less than fresh for a shift but in the big picture it’s the way to go if your schedule allows.

Now I do switch things up once the weather improves and I’m able to do a lot of easier z2 outdoor rides after work. I find that if I keep the intensity low for those it helps me sleep as well. I got through some rough times in my life with easy post work rides. If I go hard after work I just know that sleep will be affected negatively and I accept that. Otherwise all my hard stuff is scheduled in the AM.

1 Like

Thanks for your responses. I’m usually exhausted by the time I get home. I know working out in the a.m. might be best. I’ve never been much of a morning person, but I might need to try it out. The workout I had tonight was donner, I think it’s 95-98% of ftp for 12 minutes. Almost 10 minutes Into the first 12 minute block and I was cooked. It wasn’t my night!

I’m not really a morning person either. I’ve gotten pretty good, if I do say so myself, at being consistent with workouts, digging deep, and finishing the vast majority of any workout my physiology permits on a given day.

The hard part is dragging my ass out of bed at 5:30 in the morning to get a workout in before I have to get my daughter ready for school, drop her off, and head into work for 11hrs…

As luck would have it I’m actually in the car business too. Sales side though. Most of my day I’m on my butt…so no real physical toll. But I sure don’t relish the prospect of getting on the bike at 9pm after a long day…so 5:30 it is.

Sometimes I wonder how fast I could have gotten if I’d used the relative fortune of free time, energy, and lack of stress of my 20s to train instead of party…

1 Like

Sounds like you have your hands full and doing a great job with what you’re given. Keep up the great work! :grin:

I’m a machinist. Stand on concrete 10 hours a day, zero sitting. It definitely takes a toll on my legs and recovery

1 Like

Former ironworker.

If I didn’t ride before work it didn’t get done. I put some work in but took it easy for the most part.

I just worked with the thought that every beam and truss I lifted was a leg workout. Every connection I wrestled was core training. Every day I put in 12+ hours in was my endurance.

I had to maximize my work. Made sure everything was ready to go in the morning so I could just jump on and ride. I was on the bike in less than five minutes after waking up. I crushed the 1hr hard workouts in the morning. Did some easy rides when I had extra time.

1 Like