Am I too old to get to 4w/kg

How does that compare to your younger days?

I agree, it is possible for sure. Also, genes have a big distributor to it I believe, if Jonathon can come off the couch and be at 4.0 w/kg.(as they say on the TR Podcast). Yet I’ve been training for about 5 years, then, incorporated extremely “clean” eating, and following structured training on Trainerroad only the past 3 years… and still was Peaking around 3.5 w/kg every year for the past 3, until just recently. I can only attribute my hitting 4.0 w/kg with an FTP of 265, and 49 yrs old, by the past 8-12 months of also doing DialedHealth that TR recommended. I do it about 30-60 min 2-3 times a week. Now… some of that time may just be using Derek’s roller videos to recover, or mobility… but it is more time:) That’s all I can attribute my gains (finally) too… as I generally follow the same training plans to Peak twice a year… and I’m getting older, not younger lol. Right now I’m using DialedHealth KettleBell, and Road Program twice a week, timed with my TR spins :slight_smile:

Slightly off topic but not really, how is the Dialed Health stuff for the 50-ish crew?

I love it!! Turning 50 next year and I can Derek’s system makes it simple to fit in wherever I can, as my days change.

I hesitated to write this post as it’s clearly a case of showing off. But I thought some people might be interested to know what it takes to be “elite” in an older age group. I’m 59 and am currently a national road race champion and also world gran fondo champion in the 55-59 age group. (Arthur is not my real name). My ftp is about 4.4 to 4.6 W/kg depending how you define it. So quite good for a 59 year old but fairly average in absolute terms. I’m not exceptionaly talented but I’ve been training consistently for 15 years, racing for 10 years and I’ve improved very gradually year after year.

12 Likes

See you in Trento @ArthurV ?

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like