Aging cyclists - why do we do it?

True…

Granted, I’ve never done it, but at least my impression is with road races it’s not going to be too fun if you get dropped from the main pack.

I have signed up for a few gran fondos where I’m essentially competing against my own time, so there is that.

I’ve been wanting to do a cyclocross race, it looks fun. There is one in DC each year but I think they canceled due to covid.

1 Like

I went through that in my late 30s. The person who helped me reframe the issue was a kindly but athletic 90 year old Muay Thai teacher. He said, “Who is your greatest opponent?”
I replied with my most recent opponent, whom I lost to.
He smiled and shook his head, “Your greatest opponent you’ve yet to face.”
I gave him a confused look.
He gave me a deadpan look over the top of his classes and quietly stated, “Age.”

6 Likes

Yep… but every now and then you get to beat one of those skinny kids due to better tactics, more experience into the corners or just good luck… and doesn’t that feel fine !!

1 Like

I can relate on the racing. I’d like to get my UK cat 2 before I hang up the wheels, and it sucks to lose 1 and maybe now 2 seasons of racing.

1 Like

68 here. Took a hiatus for about 15 years and started again around 62.

When I wasn’t riding, I got up every morning with aches and pains and just chalked it up to “growing old”. Now, when I get up every morning with the same aches and pains I think “must have over done it yesterday riding 20 miles before breakfast.” Gives me something to blame besides aging!

9 Likes

Cyclocross is a blast. You haven’t lived until you’ve regretted pouring a beer hand up on your face and chest, and somewhat in your mouth at 170 bpm. Most places with population have a series. I googled for Maryland and Virginia and found a couple. Here are their 2019 schedules:

http://vacyclocross.com/2018-vacx-schedule

4 Likes

Because I am still learning and amazed at what my body is capable of doing. The podcasts alone opened a whole new world for me, and I am a fitter, happier, better ‘me’ because of it.

4 Likes

See also: Valverde.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Sounds like more of a mental battle than anything age-related. A mid-life crisis! I know what you mean though. Everyone needs a purpose. For me riding with my friends is enough. Events keep getting cancelled, which is annoying for sure. But at least I can now ride with friends again.

1 Like

I’m 71. I ran until my knees said no more at 50 and started road riding. No, I can’t keep up with the young skinny kids, but I do enjoy the group rides that start at a fast, but reasonable pace then kick up for the last 10 miles or so. I see how I can do and hang on for as long as I can.

Being retired I can ride outside whenever the weather allows and enjoy the ride. Plus, the feeling after a hard 50 +/- miles can’t be beat.

My worry is what will I do when I can’t ride anymore. I fear that day will come. Hopefully, i’ll train on TR and still race on Zwift. Figuring I can ride a trainer for several years after outside rides become problematic.

Last, I like to see what my old body can do. A Kickr for indoors and a Quarq allows me to track all that

12 Likes

46 here.

Retook mtb after a while, to discover that you have to spend 5k for the low part of the range of a high end bike.

Am training and racing for my 6 and 8 year olds to have that ‘structure+focus’ reference.

Not expecting them to become cyclists, nor racers. Mainly to open fun options for family integration. It’s been happening, and they even have started to follow Fabio Wibmer and the like on their own YouTube surfing.

I do tease them telling them race stories and ‘the most fun I had had in my life’ in this event or tour.

My last ride was, by the way, the one in my life where I have had the most fun. If you pay attention you’ll discover this every ride.

And I’m grateful that I made it in one piece back. Every ride.

4 Likes

Not interested you’re political view on COVID

3 Likes

For those who read trough the whole thread, here is a book reco:

Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250076226/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CN4WME6MEQYCF7K9ATHR

2 Likes

You mean fascist. :wink:

44 here. Didn’t really start until well in my 30’s. Still trying to get as fast as some in the club I’m giving 15-20 years to…

2 Likes

I think the experience is different for everyone.
I came back to cycling after 25-ish years away from the sport. I was a fast Junior, then I went to college and discovered beer and girls. Then, I became a hard partying hairdresser. If you’ve ever seen Orla Walsh’s before and after pictures, I’m the dude version of her…
I got back on a bike for fun and fitness in 2017 at age 47. By 2018, a friend had tricked me into pinning a number on my back. I tried to avoid becoming a bike racer again, but here we are.
2018 brought a few podiums against the CAT4 men. I had to start over again as there was no record of me in the USAC system. My racing was when licenses were made of paper!
2019 brought a bunch of wins and I secured the PA Best All-Around Rider Championship against the kids. At the awards banquet, the ages of the two guys on either side of me added up to my age.
I’ve started racing in Masters. Its actually harder than CAT4. There are some strong MFers in 45+!

I’m not as fast, strong or able to recover as well as when I was a Junior.
BUT my brain works much better. I am so much more disciplined and focused. I can tolerate pain like nobody’s business.

This second chapter of my cycling journey is way more exciting than the first.
I guess that’s why I bother?

11 Likes

I’ll be 66 in two weeks and have been riding for over 30 years. I’m always looking for a new challenge. In 74 days, I’ll be on the starting line for Race Across America with my team, Team Suicide Prevention for a 3,000 mile adventure across the United States. It’s about staying plugged in and seeing how for you can go.

15 Likes

Congrats on your recovery, keep it rolling.

Your story is almost exactly my story… I’m 56, raced for 10 years, 18 years away (1995-2013) due to life changes, my addiction was food and I got morbidly obese. I’m back with a better mindset about riding. I previously rode my bike because I raced and when I walked away from racing due to life changes, I stopped riding. My mindset now is, I race because I ride which helps me keep the bike fun and hopefully continuing to ride it if/when I give up racing again.

6 Likes

After 90 miles… To reach a group of young cyclists, keeping the speed of 25mph togheter for several minutes and at the end… To go to the finish line and be top 5. To see respect in their eyes looking to your Grey hair. This is why we ride. To Beat and be beated.

2 Likes