Advice for fitting “touring” into base

Hello all. I am rather new to structured training and looking for a little advice. I searched the forums but couldn’t find anything similar. I started in January with Zwift training plans but am making the move to TR starting April 1st. It seems like the obvious choice for structured training. I am decently overweight (100kg, 170cm, male) and need to build a base.

However, I am looking for recommendations about how to plan the first 2 months (April/May) of my training. From the end of April to the first week of May I will be doing a 7 day credit card tour trip. I know SSB is what TR recommends 99% of the time, and after the touring I will definitely want to do SSB. My questions are as follows:

1. Should I try to turn part of a touring day into a training session since the majority of riding will be done in Z1/Z2 probably. For example, Sweet spot intervals on long climbs?

2. Would it be smart to do Traditional base rides for a month and then start SSB after the trip or simply put SSB on pause during my trip? Or start SSB but replace some workouts with rides from the traditional plan?

3. Bonus question: Looking into later this year should I consider repeating SSB Vol 2 to build a stronger base before going into build? (My “A” race is to simply not get dropped on club rides)

Basically how do you all fit week-long+ trips into your yearly training plan?

man, enjoy the trip. There is plenty of time for intervals. Make some new friends, ride with people of your caliber and above.

I’d say ride all the zone 2 to your hearts content, then maybe have some fun on the climbs towards the end of the week. You don’t want to overextend yourself early on.

So to answer Q2, do the base miles and sprinkle in some SSB so that the trip isn’t your first bout with intensiy.

1. Get more specific if you want to keep up on club rides; you’ll need to work some vo2max to deal with surges and whatnot; SSB wont address that.

LMK what other questions you may have!

1 Like

I would start SSB1 and then use the push week function to make space for the tour. When you are back you can either pick up where you left off or restart SSB1 which will include re-testing, depending how you feel. You don’t have to be a slave to the plans.

More generally with no A race to aim for do base then build and re-asses then. Go through the specialities and see if anything takes your fancy. If not just redo base and build.

1 Like