Adaptive Training Is Now Out of Beta & Fully Available to All TrainerRoad Athletes!

If it is giving you the fail survey then I would be expecting it to adjust the next one down, so it is weird that it’s not doing that

To me, that feels a bit like gaming the system which I don’t like. I feel that if I bump the intensity which then changes a workout from something I would mark as “easy” to something I feel is “hard” then I should mark it as such.

1 Like

For sure but until they can attribute PL gains for upping intensity, that’s what I would do or not bump up intensity at all and mark how it felt. Maybe try to pick harder workouts those days you feel “fresh”?

1 Like

Yes indeed, cutting a long story short, I’m just at the start of a block, fresh off a ramp test last week so not exactly sure where my levels are at :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only thing I can think of is had a FTP bump recently and can’t get lower.

Although there’s easier VO2 workouts so we’ll see.

Hello,

I also have a question about Progression Levels, AT and planned workouts. I am on a Midvolume plan and did a Ramptest on Monday, increased my FTP by ~7%, now my progression levels on the Career Page are in the range of 1.x (only Endurance is more 3.x).
Now for tomorrow AT planned “Sewell” VO2 max with a 5.1 for me. It is set as Breakthrough workout but it looks more like a “will fail” workout to me with intervals at 5min 106% of my new FTP.

Next week is among others 5.1 VO2max, a 4.5 Threshold, 3.5 Sweet Spot. This sounds pretty hard based on the current progression on the career page.

Is this intended to ramp up like this and I am just whiny or is this maybe a mistake? Should I choose alternates that seem more reasonable or try to push through and trust the plan?

Thank you

AT should adjust down the workouts for your new PLs.

Just checking that the plan has been added via Plan Builder, and that you are currently in the block to which these workouts relate? (I guess you are as you’ve done the ramp).

1 Like

Yes, I follow a Training plan build via Plan Builder and it said after the ramp test that it will adjust things but then I did not really see adjustments on the app.

Just out of curiosity I just logged in into the Web browser and wanted to change the plan to low volume to see if that changes things BUT in there it actually said there were adaptations pending, which did not show up on mobile or the app on my computer. I accepted the adaptations and the workouts seem more reasonable now.

@bobmcstuff thank you for your reply, it made me investigate more knowing that these workouts were probably not correct. :slight_smile:

Glad to be of service :wink:

Yep it shouldn’t be giving you breakthroughs all the time. I think I had a few Stretch ones earlier on in my plan, so don’t be surprised if there is the odd Stretch workout given.

1 Like

OPE, sorry for the confusion, glad those adaptations popped up on the web! They arent always immediately viewable via mobile. :+1:

2 Likes

Which plan and what did you do before?

Is there a way to accept some adaptations but not all? My current block is the polarized block so it has VO2 workouts on Tuesday and Threshold on Thursday. I am getting adaptations on both but I would like to keep the VO2’s as they are scheduled but I want to accept the adaptations to the thresholds.

It doesn’t seem possible to me but maybe there is a work around other than just noting the new threshold workouts, rejecting adaptations, and then swapping those workouts when I get to them.

Maybe it is possible and I just missed that option so any help is appreciated!

2 Likes

It would be nice if there was a “Approve All” and “Approve Selected” option for more flexibility.

11 Likes

I like that!

Passing this along to the team again as a feature request!

4 Likes

would be curious to know, when there’s a good amount of data collected, what the breakpoint is for different domains as far as workout levels that are completed vs failed. Being at the tail end of CX specialty, level 7 workouts seem to be at that edge for me for vo2 and anaerobic.

Good question, but considering those Workout Levels are static and the same for every athlete, results would vary vastly rider to rider depending upon their own strengths and experience.

Question (it’s probably answered in here, but I can’t find it in a quick and dirty search): Why do I not get Full (e.g., the predicted) TSS on a ride that I completed? E.g., I did not stop, didn’t drop the intensity, met the power mark, but got 58 TSS instead of 61 (Lerket). Is this because I did something else wrong? is it my failing or did I perform better than the adaptive algorithm estimated I would?
I did get “achievable” and a +.8 for VO2 on it, and maybe that is what I should be looking for?
Also, only been doing AT for about 4 weeks now.

So looking at your workout you had a short lower power section during the warm up which account for a fraction of the missing TSS and then on every little ‘over’ section there was a 1-2sec delay so that could probably add up to a TSS point or two by the end (this is probably due to some timestep delay from TR to your trainer).

I wouldn’t stress at all over it. You definitely didn’t do anything wrong. No, you didn’t fail and you didn’t do any better than the adaptive algorithm thought you would (well maybe you did but the TSS difference doesn’t mean that).

Based on the bump in AT level you successfully completed the workout and got the credit for it.

TLDR; you completed the workout just like you should have so you can give yourself a ‘green check’ in your head and move on to the next one!

1 Like

Interesting. Your screen shot is my Katahdin +1 ride from last night that I did get full TSS. Though the image matches your description. It was the day before that had the anomolous TSS despite was looks like good performance to requirements match.

I won’t lose sleep over it as long as there’s nothing to worry about.