Adaptive Training and the Polarized Plans

Yes, for me they do. But YMMV and perhaps you feel differently.

I’m just saying that to caution people who think that sweet spot base is too hard. Usually what I think is going on is that they have too many days with intensity. Instead, you could start from a low-volume plan, replace the weekend workout with endurance work (or, in my case, an outdoor ride where I practice skills, etc.) and then pad that with endurance work.

This is not supposed to be an argument for or against polarized (I use both), but people should know what is actually going on, what the problem is and then decide how to address that.

Seiler’s position has changed over the years, so quoting him without context is not really valuable. In the recent interview he did with Dylan Johnson, he said that he’s mostly using a two-zone model now to train with LT1 being the boundary between the two. I’m not even taking a position here, but the details of “what Seiler said” has morphed and changed significantly over time and there are many ways to make a polarized training plan. He was talking about the fact that he has more fast twitch fibers, so certain workouts leave him more or less fatigued. That makes sense: you should know how your body reacts to certain training stimuli, and two athletes might react very differently to the same stimulus. We all have our most and least favorite workouts, and our physiologies are different. Sensible, but not really useful to create a training plan.

When he talked about heart rate, most of the stuff he said was sensible, but it wasn’t really prescriptive, just descriptive. That for endurance rides heart rate works well as a primary metric, but for intense workout, it is more difficult. That heart rate is still valuable to gauge how hard your body is working on average. That sort of thing. But those do not neatly distill into principles rom which you can create a workout plan.

IMHO most people are overthinking polarized: polarized just means to me in practical terms that you are eschewing sweet spot workouts, you reduce the number of days with intensity and put more emphasis on endurance work. So guess what, you broaden the base of your power tower — at least that has been my experience with it. For the last 2+ seasons, I have used polarized blocks whenever I felt my physical and mental endurance needed to be addressed.

2 Likes