Not sure if a personal training thread is of interest to anyone but I wanna keep this online for some sort of accountability and document this for myself
Sub 1 hr is not a crazy goal. It should be achievable yet not super easy.
Not sure how much lower than 1hr I can get with my watt and weight goal but it comes to 3.78w/kg.
I have hit 4w/kg before in my ramp tests but I’m the kind of rider who does better in shorter higher power efforts more so than long sustained efforts. There’s a much bigger drop off for me than 5% between max 20 min and max 1 hr effort. In fact, I believe my Ramp Test would’ve been around 260 watts when I got my PR on Diablo last year, which was 236 watts.
But 1 hr is a good goal. Nate English once said that’s a good indicator that you’re a fit individual. Ofcourse, he did it in something like 43 minutes, but I’ll take his word for it.
EDIT: Pushed the PR attempt date 2 weeks as I just found out it’s the “Diablo Challenge” event on Oct 3rd! I think that will give me an extra push to be in shape for the event and maybe perform a little better than I would otherwise. Being closed to traffic on the day helps out a lot too!
Date: May 3rd 2020
Segment Time: 1:02:44
Leaderboard Placement: 1392 / 15132
Personal + Bike Weight : (142lbs + 6.8kg)
Avg. Watts: 236W
Temperature: 79F (Max) 71F (Avg)
Date: Oct 3 2021
Segment time: Sub 1:00:00
Personal + Bike Weight : (140lbs + 4.99kg)
Goal Watts: 240W
June 10th 2021: 147.8lbs
April 26th 2021: 245W
- Have been following a Low Volume plan since April and not riding much extra on top of that. No goal event.
- Got in Adaptive Training Beta as of yesterday.
- Started a fresh TT Low Volume plan (since this is a pure hill TT effort) and plugged Sept 19th as an A race with openers.
- Do the minimum 3.5-4 hours per week the plan prescribes.
- Try to add 1 long (3.5-4 hour) ride on the weekend.
- Very easy 1-1.5 hour rides in between optional depending on mood.
Nutrition & Weight Loss
- In 2015 I was 208lbs at 5’7" with 0 activity.
- In 2016 I was down to 154lbs via cycling with not much attention to nutrition.
- I went vegan in 2016 and I’d do the usual -/+ 7 to 8lbs on / off season until 2020. Mainly lowest of 154lbs though.
- Beginning of 2020 I ate 90% whole foods. ~1600 calories per day and no junk foods especially after dinner while watching Netflix. Dropped to my lowest of 142lbs in a couple months.
- Late 2020 until now, stress / boredom and lack of goals led me to eating unhealthy / junk often. Not horrible all things considered. I’d like to lose 7.8 lbs to be at my best weight for PR. I’ll do my best to follow my early 2020 strategy for weight loss.
I’ll update as I go!