A Wild idea for Favero Assioma pedals [MTB SPD Hack]

Is it possible to just learn from Garmin Vector experience about using a cartridge kit to convert Look to Shimano petal?

If the inner diameter of selected Shimano pedal is larger than Assima pedal, then it is possible to handmade an “adapter or tube” by CNC for either metals or engineering plastics, also CFRP-made is considerable.

Personal use, no license violated issue.

There’s a pretty big difference mechanically between how Garmin vs Favero are built. Favero uses an inboard pod, pushing the pedal out and giving room for the electronics and the strain gauges, but allowing the use of what appears to be a fairly stock pedal body. Garmin has an overlapp between the pedal body and the strain gauges, forcing relocation of bearings compared with a “standard” pedal - and thus the pedal body is not the same as any other pedal on the market.

Thus the stock-to-stock pedal body swap idea may work with Assiomas, but is not applicable to Garmin Vectors.

Well I may have done it! Last night I finished installing the pedal body from an xpedo spd pedal (m-force 4) to the spindle of the assiamo duo. Everything fit nicely and no modifications were needed…well I did have to trim part of my shoe (just the rubber on the crank side) so that my MTB shoe would clear the assioma housing.
My q-factor is now 53mm which is 1mm off the original assioma q-factor of 54mm but I my measuring method was crude and it could very well be 54mm. I took it out for a short ride and everything worked (watts and rpm). No play in the pedal whatsoever and I could clip in and out without interfering with the assioma housing. Now I should be able to swap the assioma spindle from MTB to road bike and just switch the pedal bodies. Thanks for the idea. I will update if I run into any issues.
p.s. I should note that I only do gravel and light trail riding on my MTB. Just wanted to avoid stepping off with a road shoe. Would not consider this for true MTB riding where the assioama would be susceptible to damage from the terrain.
CHEERS!

47 Likes

Killer!

One thing I’d consider is crank end caps, to try and protect the pedal base against ground strikes. The pods look to be flush with or even further out than the crank arm.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! If you have a trainer with a built in power meter it would be interesting to see how the power correlates. …or we could try to convince @GPLama to give this a shot and run it through his lab tests.

2 Likes

Or even better, convince Favero to make this a production version.

6 Likes

36%20pm

13 Likes

That’s great. As you say, maybe not a fully fledged MTB pedal but more than useful for gravel.

Thanks for trying this.

Mike

This is seriously cool. It would be interesting to find out how sturdy they are (and also how easy it is to replace the bearings). I’d love a set of pedal power meters for my 'cross bike.
And I’ve just seen that SRM have an MTB power meter pedal coming out at the end of the year. Sounds interesting, if expensive (1000EUR). If the Shimano patent on SPD is now over, maybe we’ll see Favero produce one of these sooner rather than later too? :pray:

Ti is relatively easy to ALM. Problem is as mentioned the feature accuracy in final form is probably not good enough. Also the material properties of ALM material can be wildly different from traditionally machined stuff. We have decades of metallurgical knowledge on that stuff. We are only digging into that with ALM materials now. Sure you can go for it yourself and test the hell out of it before use. Such an approach is not feasible for any mass produced product. Never mind the warranty issues for using a novel process with limited material characterization.

I have a wahoo kickr and plan to test it later today. Will update with results

7 Likes

Keep us posted!!

SPD compatible power pedals are coming. SRM debuts first ever MTB power meter pedals | Eurobike 2019 - BikeRadar

I’ve read elsewhere that the SPD patent has, is about to (or maybe has just recently) expire, and that there may be more SPD power pedals options in the near future,

Nice. It’s now clear why Assioma MTB pedals are not so easy to convert.

okay, here it is. An 11 mile ride in zwift (35 minutes) some flat, a little climbing and some short sprints (very short)
See image below.
You wont believe this but the average watts for entire ride from the Assioma modification and the wahoo kickr were exactly the same!!!
For my purposes, this modification is within tolerances :wink:

22 Likes

Dude, thats a legendary hack!!

1 Like

Yep DCRainmaker mentions the same in his latest article - " Note that it’s likely we’re going to see a pile of SPD power meter pedals, as my understanding from multiple people is that Shimano’s SPD patent expired earlier this year. Something that Google seems to confirm."

1 Like

@madmaximummodulus hack of the year!

2 Likes

This is sick to the power of rad, multiplied by woot!

No surprises that the power readings remain flawless; this is the huge advantage of Favero’s design… you could probably pedal barefoot on that spindle, without the pedal body, and the strain gauges and electronics would work.

Perfect for my commuter/gravel bike!

Any reason an xpedo m-force 3 wouldn’t work? (they’re way cheaper than the 4’s). Also wondering about the CXR’s…

Happy to make this mod permanently and get a second set of Assioma’s for the road bikes.

I dont think the m-force 3 will work. Spindle must have three bearings, 2 inner, 1 outer.
look here for specs on m-force 3 (M-FORCE 3 – XPEDO), looks like 2 bearings
I do think the CXR will work (CXR – XPEDO) as you can see 3 bearings.
I was originally gonna do the CXR but Amazon only had the m-force 4 available for prime shipping and Im kinda the impulse/can’t wait kinda guy.