A Time Trialing Thread

Is the name of the facility really a clue, or just an outright declaration of location? :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah, it says silverstone like 6 times in that picture :joy:.

Pretty tiny for a windtunnel.
Silverstone for Bikes at ~30mph:

NASA windtunnel in California to test fighter jets at some 1000 knots:

(Thatā€™s me in the bottom left corner).

8 Likes

Mehā€¦not much difference between 30mph and 100 knots per hour. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Iā€™m on the forum, but I didnā€™t know about the topic haha.

Well Iā€™m from Brazil, and about two years ago Iā€™m specializing in TT races, my first national (pro elite) in 2021 I was in 10th place, but I had an accident 4 days before with my own TT bike at 55km/h.

this year 2022, I was in 5th place in the national (pro elite).

This is my current bike, but Iā€™m already working on a new disc project

16 Likes

Sheā€™s a beauty! Care to share some time/speed/power figures from the Elite races?

And I assume the gator skins are for training? Also, what front chainring is that?

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks Bro, rotor aero chainring, 58/48, so I raced national with reynolds clincher gp5000 with latex, but the front wheel is horrible.

After the national I decided to go with this wheelset, I finished just 12 seconds behind a guy who was national pro champion (if Iā€™m not mistaken he won in 2019), so for me it was a great result.

Well in terms of power, I guarantee that Iā€™m the weakest, of the top10 national, I work a lot on top of the position.

my second year racing national, I was 30 seconds away from the boy who now runs for movistar.

5 Likes

What TT sessions do you do ?

Just out of curiosity: the position, namely the angle of the arm rests does not look UCI legal to my eye. Did you change that or donā€™t they check on that?

2 Likes

It depends on the time of year, but for example I work full time, so I can only train at night, going out on the road is not an option.

from monday to friday my workouts are all indoor, my bike on the smart trainer is tt, basically all the intervals that the coach gives me I do in it, unless itā€™s intervals of less than 1 min or very intense I do it out of position time trial.

so I do the most I can all intervals in the tt position, the training days in z1/z2, close to the race, say 1 month before I try to stay 30/40min in the best position possible with low power.

2 Likes

Do you have a picture of your race?

I changed it, it has a shim to stay inside the Uci angle.

7 Likes

Yep, thatā€™s what I thought.
I am doing it very similarly. Position looks great!

Aerocoach claim theyā€™re legal as said above. It looks an awesome set up :sunglasses:

AeroCoach Ascalon carbon aerobar extensions (aero-coach.co.uk)

UCI LEGALITY GUARANTEED WITH 15DEG ADAPTERS

Carbon Ascalons are UCI height legal (UCI regulation 1.3.023) when the arm rest is placed in the forwards position on the Ascalon, and a 15deg base bar adapter is used. Ascalons have been specifically approved by the UCI for the Tokyo Olympics.

It is also possible to achieve a UCI 10cm height distance with the following combinations:

1. 20deg tilt block + 5deg wedges 2x2mm arm rest spacers and longer Ascalon grippers (with Shimano 1 button 9160 or SRAM eTap).

2. 25deg tilt blocks + 10deg arm wedges and short Ascalon grippers (with Shimano 1 button 9160).

For Ascalon accessories including wedges and arm rest spacers, please see Ascalon accessories

For an explanation of the UCI regulations please see the video below:

I know, the picture he posted first didnā€™t have the -10 degree wedge, thatā€™s what I was asking and he replied exactly thatā€¦

Yip that what I meant ā€˜as said aboveā€™, maybe I could have added ā€˜as the OP said aboveā€™ :+1:

buy ascalon in sale site, first with 15 degrees then I switched to the current one. With the new uci rules I hope to improve the position for the national in 2023, looking for a very hard 3rd place. In two weeks I have the last time trial race, and after that I will build the new tt disc ( orbea ordu omx ), but I'm terrified of the bike being slower than the trinity, this bike is really amazing.

buy ascalon in sale site, first with 15 degrees then I switched to the current one. With the new uci rules I hope to improve the position for the national in 2023, looking for a very hard 3rd place. In two weeks I have the last time trial race, and after that I will build the new tt disc ( orbea ordu omx ), but Iā€™m terrified of the bike being slower than the trinity, this bike is really amazing.

2 Likes

Any advice on sizing a TT frame blind? Trying to keep costs down but that means secondhand. The only frames that seem to come up around me are Giant Trinity (expensive) and Boardman TTE (about a grand cheaper for the same setup).

I comfortably ride a 385-395 reach road/gravel bike with a 110mm stem, but that would be with a lot slacker seat angle. I have good flexibility and want to keep the front end low and space up if I need to. It would need to be UCI compliant.

S/M TTE Reach
401/417 (100m stem stock)

S/M Trinity Reach
410/417 (80mm stem stock).

Iā€™m 180cm

I have a medium TCR which has 388 reach and a 100mm stem. I ride a small Trinity.

The good thing about Trinityā€™s in the uk, assuming thats where you are, is that theyā€™re so popular that you can get loads of aftermarket parts to get your fit pretty set.

I would always opt for a smaller TT frame if between sizesā€¦but thats just me.

Early Christmas gift to myself arrived yesterday:

Itā€™s the newly updated Aerocoach Ascalon Cockpit, with the new hook grippers.
These are especially made to suit the updated 2023 UCI regulation on TT position, which stipulates that riders above the height of 190cm (an I am a cool 5mm above there) can have a height of the end of the cockpit of 140mm over the middle of the arm rests, as opposed to 100mm before. This means that a more ā€œmantis styleā€ position is becoming legal, and tall people like Ganna do not have to have their arm cups in the middle of the forearm.

The position that tested fastest for me in the wind tunnel is enabled by the new regulation.
It is:
A 25 degree angle for the extensions, with a 10 degree wedge underneath the arm cups.
The hooks at the end allow for a secure 2 finger grip (2 fingers below the hook, one finger on the Shimano Di2 shifter, 1 finger to scratch the nose).

I am really interested in how the new system feels. Itā€™s definitely faster than the old one, but the old system felt amazing in ergonomics. Hope the new system is nearly as good on that front, too.

4 Likes

Despite its title this article has some interesting stuff on TT wheels (as well as non TT stuff) and I thought Iā€™d share.

How wide is too wide, is hookless pointless, are carbon spokes worth it and what aero innovations are coming next? We ask Parcoursā€™ Dov Tate the big questions about road bike wheels | Cycling Weekly

2 Likes