2023 XC Bike & Equipment Thread

Random thought/question for those of you using wax lube (either drip or melt). Do you/would you in the future, opt for a wet lube for a race with creek crossings?

I typically avoid putting the bike through water if I can, but it’s obviously much slower to walk most creeks than ride.

It occurs to me that going back to a wet lube might provide me slightly more resilient lubrication for the duration of the race.

I use a drip wax (Squirt), but have never thought about this question. Very interested in the answers!

1 Like

Typo on the weight difference. Call it 200g diff and about 500 bucks.

31.6 x 75mm, 80mm min insertion, 225mm max insertion, 355mm extended length, Starting Weight: 352g

Lever 33.5g
https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=transfersl

Sram axs is around 600ish.

2 Likes

Not a chance. A short flush isn’t going to remove virtually any wax. It will take hours of sustained riding in the wet to strip it. I use wax year round in the UK.

Introducing the Exie for all. Sharing the same geometry and performance as the World Cup winning Exie USA, our newest offering is handbuilt in Vietnam. It’s everything we love about our US made offering (albeit ~250g heavier) in a wallet-friendly build. Prices start at $4,999 USD.

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/exie

3 Likes

There are rumors floating around that we will see a refresh to the Epic HT this year, and perhaps the standard Epic next year. The rumors I heard are a diverge/supercaliber type suspension coming to the “hard tail” epic. This could be false as these rumors have been floating around for sometime now and I haven’t seen anything to support it other than just talk…

Regardless, I guessing we see a modest refresh with an increase to compliance to the Epic HT this year, and the standard Epic to be refreshed next year, expecting it to morph into something similar to what the Epic Evo is today. I’d guess they tripple-down on the Brain and expect them to come out with a 120mm brain equipped front shock that works a bit better than the current iteration (the rear brain is steller, the front not so much…).

1 Like

Oh… Nice!! I had that Miami vice green with gold logos and gold spatter on my original order, it is such a nice color. I ended up changing to the Gloss Harlequin Green to Blue with Gold outline logos they recently came out with. Might be the first bike I bother with doing a ride wrap on.

1 Like

Woah, the Exie is a massive bike.

100mm travel and 67.2°HTA and the Wheelbase in XL is 1253mm.

Only 2mm shorter than the Transition Spur which is ginormous, and 50mm longer than the previous Spark.

1 Like

DCAF, right? :wink:

1 Like

Google has let me down on that one :rofl:. DCAF?

1 Like

Down Country As F__k

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

I can get behind that.

I saw a Transition Spur in the wild yesterday. Looks super slick. Could easily be my one bike I think.

For now though. The Spark does all I could ask.

1 Like

Snagged a few for quick comparison, in my size at least:

3 Likes

Interesting. The Exie seems to get much bigger in XL than it’s other sizes

1 Like

More racing-related, but equipment (tire) sponsor-related. Interestingly, according to Jolanda Neff’s Instagram, it looks like Trek Factory Racing will be on Pirelli tires this season instead of Bontrager.

2 Likes

Damn thats interesting wonder if Pirelli threw a bag at them or the team complained about tires.

2 Likes

Rumors I’ve heard are that the epic will go more trek supercaliber than epic evo but who knows.

Pirelli has been a sponsor of the road team for a long time, but it is curious. It is interesting though that Trek sells Pirelli, Conti, Challenge, and Bontrager tires. I’m not sure what to make of this, but it’s likely that Pirelli showed up with lots of cash though.

2 Likes

Wow, the exie seems huge on paper. I’m interested in one but at 5’10ish 5’11ish it seems either way too small in M or too big in L

1 Like

Its confirmed on Evie Richards insta that they will be racing on Pirelli tyres.