Pro Mountain Bike Racing Discussion (Spoilers)

Exactly, without the video, it’s hard to say what actually happened. Some people who were on the sidelines thought that MF had been ahead of Nino, but again, without the video… It is just as much a thing of a dirty defense, as there is a dirty pass. It’s like F1, if you are ahead, and it’s not safe, then the passed rider needs to yield the position.

Also…It’s a race.

1 Like

Between the TdF and visiting family I still haven’t watched the women’s XCO from last week.

However, I’ve just finished the women’s XCC and it was a heck of a race. Love these technical XCC courses. Impressive to see McConnell on the upswing again.

Now, let’s see how spicy the men’s XCC is…

Notably, the men’s field seems more complete with fewer riders skipping the weekend.

Also, the altitude seems to be having a big impact. A lot of people really battling. Nino doesn’t look flash at all. Braidot and Fluck do.

Whilst obviously NOT a World Cup, figure the chat can go here.

Anyone following USA Nationals?

Congratulations to Keegan. Obviously his huge volume bump has lifted his level everywhere.

KC in second is good. Quite a gap to Blunk. I don’t know her, is she young?

3 Likes

Yes she is pretty young, she races with Orange Seal. Here is her and her partner Cole’s channel.https://www.youtube.com/c/ColeSavilia

1 Like

Savilia is a first year elite this year, and was mostly doing U23 world cups last year. I think she’s a Durango native (correct me if I’m wrong here).

1 Like

It’s crazy to see how well Keegan has done with the change of training and racing as compared to his World Cup rides.

I think Blevins won the short track as well.

Hump

Snowshoe this week. Looks slick and wet which could be interesting. Might mean Nino has a better chance of not flatting like the last two years :crossed_fingers:. Limited field with many staying in Europe to train or compete at the Commonwealth Games.

XCC in an hour and a half (from now). Got to love a closer time zone and not having to dodge spoilers. Hopefully I can tune in live.

2 Likes

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/live/uci-mountain-bike-world-cup-2022-snowshoe-xc-short-track

2 Likes

Wow!

No broken bones for Nino. As somebody that’s had their bell rung a few times, I know exactly what it looks like. I am shocked they haven’t announced a concussion yet. Dude looked like he was living on another dimension for a second there. Happy he is well, I hope he is fit to ride on Sunday.

Incredible day for USA, just insanity.

1 Like

I agree. Immediate thought was concussion before his shoulder. I’ll be surprised if he’s allowed to race Sunday.

Gutted.

1 Like

I wish there was footage of his crash; seems like a very weird place to go down?

2 Likes

If you look frame by frame you see his tire slip and twist at the top of the bridge and you see him fly over the bars coming down. He puts his hands out but still hits his head.

I’m all for a good challenging xc course but are narrow, wood, man made bridges in the rain really xc?

2 Likes

I didn’t even consider the rain; very possible he lost his front tire.

I’d be shocked if he races today, he was most definitely concussed afterward.

Rissveds is Mrs Consistency!

Also, during these crazy muddy races, do we see the racers running narrower tires than usual?
Looked like Keller and Mitterwaller were on some narrow tires.

Hump

1 Like

No mention of concussion on Schurter’s IG, just said he’s not going to race because his shoulder and back are too sore.

It didn’t look like a slip to me, but you might have seen a clip I haven’t. All guesswork I guess unless Nino says what happened.

I think most of the bridges are to facilitate the course design/spectators. They have mats on them to help with traction. It could/should be wider maybe, but I don’t think removing all man made features is the answer. In some regards I like the way the racers have to really race hard for positions before the bridges etc, but it must suck big time to be unclipped at the back of the field.

Not that that’s different to a narrow piece of natural single track.