Pro Mountain Bike Racing Discussion (Spoilers)

https://www.redbull.com/nz-en/live/uci-mountain-bike-world-cup-2022-nove-mesto-xco-men

Unless you are geoblocked, which seems unlikely but I guess there must be a chance, you should see full replays under each event all the way back to 2018. Only exception is the World Champs which are geoblocked to a lot more markets.

1 Like

Thank you! will try this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, full race replays are there. Its not always the easiest to find things in the app, but theyā€™re there. I promise lol

Twice in Snowshoe, that 2019 race was another epic comeback that came up just short.

No one will ever race like that guy though. His was the best ride over the weekend.

2 Likes

Heā€™s from a different era, where you just kept fighting.

I also like his bike setup.

Hump

1 Like

Cool nugget of insight from Henrique:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdv3aOouPXO/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

2 Likes

The User Experience sucks on red bull TV, things are not easy to find.

Leogang XCC tonight. Disappointing lack of course previews sorry.

Looks like Pivot arenā€™t even there.

If you check out IG, and the course preview for the DH, it looks WET!!

These are obviously not the XCO course, but give an indication of potential conditions on the hill.

1 Like

Just pulled up the weather for the next few days, and it looks dry, but the past few days has been constant rain it seems, at least based on the posts Iā€™ve seen on Insta. Will be interesting to see how the track changes as we get closer to race day.

2 Likes

They said on commentary itā€™s going to be 30degrees tomorrow so should be dry on track.

Quite a good XCC. Flueckiger and Lecomte back to their 2021 form.

Interesting racing on both sides. Haley Batten curiouslyblew her fufu on the first lap and faded badly. KC looked ok for her recent form. Mitterwallner showed again an awful start but huge motor especially great power to weight. Sheā€™ll finish very high Sunday.

Cooper had a good steady finish. I didnā€™t see what happened to Nino for him to drop back but might be just that heā€™s invested a bit more effort in the next four races that might suit him better. Shame for Sam Gaze to get caught behind the early crash. Great result for Ben Oliver on a course that doesnā€™t really suit him.

2 Likes

I canā€™t believe there isnā€™t a post about todayā€™s race already but wow. Just wow. Heartbreaking.

Curious what peopleā€™s takes are? Iā€™m aware it might be my bias and emotions but I donā€™t think thatā€™s ā€œjust racing.ā€ Crashes like that donā€™t happen at that junction in the race and the onus is on the passer to do it safely. I hope some fan video or something surfaces.

1 Like

Yeah, very contentious racing.

Iā€™m disappointed (and dissatisfied). My respect for Mathias Fluckiger shrinks more and more it seems.

Until I see the actual incident, I retain the right to be wrong here and will change my opinion, but I think Mathias lacks maturity and my gut feel says he tried to put a move on like Nino did last year. Difference being the move wasnā€™t on and he didnā€™t execute it the same! Nino has placed aggressive moves on people, but they are always clean.

Just watching the post race coverage - disappointed in Mathias not owning a mistake. I get it, heā€™s bitter about being beaten last year, but just say I tried to pass and we came together and Iā€™m sorry.

3 Likes

Wow. Just finished watching the race while doing 2 hours of sweet spot work on the trainer. I think I may have gone into threshold 20 times during that last lap.

Without knowing what happened for sure it seems like Mathias did something too aggressive and took both of them out. Exciting finish for sure but a bummer way to end a great race.

2 Likes

Scott Sram insta has made a couple semi veiled comments, theyā€™re making it very clear that Nino believes Mattias took him out on a bad move.

This whole situation just leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. Hard to look at Mattias in good light when this entire situation was predictable. Rob and Bart both basically telegraphed the ending on lap 2 or 3 about how Mattias will be racing with the last lap moves that Nino made the last year in his mind. And sure enough, homie raced on emotion, ruined both their races, and stole Ninoā€™s (highly likely but potentially not) storybook record breaking moment.

Bravo to Braidot though. To win it, you have to be there at the end, and the dude just would not quit.

3 Likes

More post race drama than you typically see thatā€™s for sure.

1 Like

Not surprising, given the outburst picked up by the cameras.

I still donā€™t get the Nino got his comeuppance angle. Nino has taken positions from people, but those riders havenā€™t been forced to ā€œyieldā€. To say that Mathias was owed a yield, or that he just gave as good as he got, doesnā€™t seem at all correct to me.

Agreed. I know they have had their ā€œissuesā€ but both those times at least to me Nino made an aggressive but clean pass. Clearly without video weā€™ll never know for sure, but MFā€™s interview didnā€™t help the situation.

1 Like

Nino had the lead prior to the crash. We have to assume Mattias caused the wreck. Iā€™d glady pay that fine if I was Nino.

Also, pay attention to what was said, Nino said you crashed me, MF said, it was racing. I think you if you go back at look at car racing, moto racing, when two racers say that, the one who says its just racing, is most likely the one who caused it.

2 Likes

I dont knowā€¦rubbing is racing. Until we see video of the crash we can only speculate as to what happenedā€¦unless MF t-boned Nino Justin Barcia style in a tight corner you cant blame either oneā€¦espicially with all the A & B lines available.