XC Race Tire Thread

I haven’t got any personal experience, only internet research as I was dead keen on them after they were recommended here. It sounds like there’s an updated version this year that is true to size. If you can get a full 2.6" and still have the weight of a 2.4" tyre then we’re really cooking with gas. Assuming they aren’t nano tech thin to make that happen.

The Vittoria 2.35" tyres measure about the most true to size I’ve seen from my experience. My Rekon Race and Rekon measure 61mm (2.4" WT). They look pretty huge volume wise to be fair.

I think volume is fantastic. The 2.6" tyres had lovely grip and smoothness, but they felt like boat anchors.

It’s crazy how much difference such a small amount can make.

2 Likes

Just installed a 2.4” Bontrager XR3 on my front wheel.

My rim has an internal width of 23mm, and the tire installed comes out to about 2.15” width. That is surprisingly narrower than the 2.2” XR2 on the back wheel, which measures out to 2.25” installed. Did not get a weight on it.

The XR3 seems narrower in the sidewall, whereas the XR2 seems to “bulge out” on the sidewall (looks rounder, I suppose). The treads look about the same width.

Putting the Barzo on today for an upcoming race on Saturday.
Rode the course yesterday with the dual Mezcal. Need a bit more front bite.

Hump

2 Likes

The more front bite of the Barzo was worth it. Felt I could hit turns with more confidence.

Hump

4 Likes

I’ve ridden Leadville twice with race kings. Very well suited to that race. The sketchiest sections are the fast loose over hard descents - Powerline descent, and the forest road descent on Columbine. Just dial things back 5-10% on those descents - especially in the corners.

The new XC bike (YT Izzo Uncaged) came with a pair of Maxxis Rekon Race, which I found totally unsuitable for Irish rooty/wet terrain.
Very fast rolling tyre - would be great on dry grass I reckon but I don’t ride much on dry grass!
So I swapped the front to a Forekaster which was much better but the rear was still spinning-off roots even when seated so I’m gonna move the Forekaster to the back and use a part-worn E-13 TRS to the front for some really reliable front-end grip.
I think the E-13 may be overkill (and it’s quite a bit heavier than the Forekaster) so may eventually settle on Forekaster front and rear.

1 Like

I may have mentioned it upthread but I’m running Forekaster 2.35 front & rear on 2 bikes. I’m in an area where it can be humid damp wet slick with roots & rocks & the Forekasters work great. They roll very well too. We seem to be going into a dry period so I may put a tire with smaller knobs on the back of my Oiz but keeping 2 Forekasters on my Vassago single speed I’m racing 100k on in a month. Rear tire grip is imperative on that thing, I can’t afford to be breaking traction when I’m struggling up a steep climb on that thing.

1 Like

This weekend I used my Ardent Races that came stock on my bike in the Lake District (Whinlatter and Hamsterley). They were terrible on damp rock. Great on gravel and dirt, but useless otherwise. I put a Hans Dampf on the front and was instantly a lot happier. I think I’m going to go back to Schwalbe tyres after a brief dalliance with Maxxis!

Exactly my experience. Reckon race 2.4 came as stock on my Scott spark. Washed out the front end on my first or 2nd ride on them in Scottish winter, it wasn’t really that wet. Bought 2 forekasters, fitted the front and was miles better unless on roots or mud and then had loads of slippage while pedalling.

I would have fitted the other forekaster to the rear but it was drying out. I am testing Wolfpak cross front and race rear in 2.4 just now. I’m pretty impressed, although claimed weights were pretty off.

1 Like

Just back from some taper intervals which involve hitting a hill very fast, then playing on a a DH on the way back. With a Barzo at 18psi and a Mezcal at 20psi all was very good as I tried to find my limits in the current dust before a race on Saturday.

I’ve softened my suspension to (Scott Spark) to 133psi @ 75kg or 30% Sag in open mode which seems to have provided extra grip in the downhill corners. Luckily with Spark you have Traction mode to ride in most of the time which props the bike up and firms the platform, its such a great combo.

1 Like

Friends don’t let friends ride Ardent Race

2 Likes

Is 75kg your total system weight (bike+rider) or just rider weight?

18f/20r is what I’ve typically ridden tires like Barzo/Mezcal at 70kg and I recently put a tubolight in the rear after flatting a second Mezcal on a rocky trail I train on. I’ve been trying to find anything more scientific about what I could/should reduce PSI by with an insert and really can’t find anything more than anecdote about going 1-2 PSI lower than what you used to ride. Not that you’d necessarily have the answer to that, but in the absence of science trying to find what pressures other people of similar weights have been typically riding at.

1 Like

Like most things, it depends. A tubolight doesn’t offer much sidewall support so with some tires (i.e. specialized 2.3”) I don’t drop the pressure at all (I find anything under 18-19psi has me folding the tire in corners).

For tires with enough sidewall support like Maxxis Exo I might drop as low as 14psi in wet conditions. This is for 2.35 and 2.4” tires, at 73kg body weight. But I wouldn’t run that low in dry conditions: about 2psi less than without inserts is as much as I drop.

I raced 2.35 mezcals last weekend on i25 rims, about 95 kgs system weight. I ran 19f/21r for pressure and thought it was great. Some rocky tech that was a non issue.

Barzos are my mud or loose over hard conditions tire, same pressures, maybe a shade more.

3 Likes

For hardback conditions with wet roots and wet rocks are Forekasters the fastest option that is going to grip well in the slick. I don’t expect to ever face deep soft loam or mud at any of the races in my area but have considered when I eventually upgrade my wheelset, slapping the racing ray/ralphs on the good wheelset and having Forekasters on the stock wheels during race season and Syerras on the stock wheels for the off season as training tires.
I’ve read that Barzo don’t do well on slick roots and rocks.

Good to hear that the Wolfpack tires made a good initial impression as it’s the very combination I have on my new bike which should see it’s first dirt in a week. In my case the weight was also higher than claimed.

I can confirm that Barzo don’t do well on wet roots rock. I put them on and went out expecting them to be a step up in grip over bontrager xR2, over wet roots they were pretty poor, but in general wet conditions better.

Hello brain trust!

I’ve been running 2.4 Rekon Race (Front 19 psi), and 2.4 Aspen (Rear 19 psi) for a while now and like the combo. Aspen on the front is too loose for my ability, and I like Rekon Race on the rear also during the winter. I am in southern California, so I’m riding dry sand over packed and ruts with 5 miles of med gravel and asphalt to/from my trailhead.

I’m due for some new rubber and wanted to try something new, really just for the sake of experimentation. I have Vittoria and Specialized options readily available, so my question is, what would be the closest to my current setup in those brands?

Thanks in advance!

Specialized FastTrak/Ground Control or Vittoria Mezcal/Barzo. Both of those are a bit slower/grippier in the front than Rekon Race though.

I’d stick with what you have. It’s a super fast combo that’s hard to beat if it’s working for you.

3 Likes

I like the Mezcals but you def need to run them lower than what they say. I notice through uphill rock gardens of baby heads, traction is tough. If I put them at 20 (150 pounds) they work well in those conditions, but then I worry about pinch flatting/tearing sidewalls since they are paper thin. I’m going to put inserts in eventually to assist with that.

2 Likes