XC Race Tire Thread

I have 2.5 Assegai and DHF on my bike park/enduro/party rig and I can’t imagine ever wanting to go that large on my xc race bike. I had run 2.4 ardents in the front in the past and that was ok. Running 2.35 Fast Trak now which at first I wasn’t too keen on, but now after a few weeks, I’m into it. Have a really narrow Barzo on the rear that is just there until I find something else. Might go Mezcals front and rear for some late summer racing.

1 Like

Did you move away from XR4/3 out of a lack of availability or on purpose? I’m no XC racer but quite happy with that combo for general trail riding

Lack of availability.

I like the performance of the XR3 in the rear, but it doesn’t last long. So I’ve moved away from the XR3 for the rear. Good as a front tire for XC, but I prefer the more chunky XR4 as a front tire for trail riding.

My current rear tire (Schwalbe Racing Ralph) is something I settled for based on availability. But not ideal for the riding I do.

2 Likes

I certainly would never choose to race on the 2.6 tyres. They are noticeably heavy compared to my Schwalbe’s. I’ve just installed them on the stock (heavy) Syncros rims with an SLX cassette and CushCore, purely as a trail/winter set up.

I’m thinking I might even try a Mezcal 2.35 rear with the 2.6 front. I have no idea really how the Vittoria’s will perform, the Mezcal looks more promising in person than I realised (the Barzo less so, more mud specific than I thought maybe).

1 Like

I lucked out getting two of them from my buddy’s top fuel for $30 :rofl:. Also a trek fanboy so would probably run them over Vitoria or Schwalbe just because

1 Like

Just a comment on the Barzo -it is terrible in mud (doesn’t seem to shed it very much) & in wet roots/rocks, the tire is terrifying. As long as it’s dry, I love it, though.

1 Like

Interesting. Looking at them in person I kind of thought the knobs were too widely spaced on the Barzo compared to the Mezcal for dry conditions?

One interesting thing I’ve been looking at recently after having a big discussion with a mate who used to race high level downhill competitions is the side knobs and the height relative to the rest of the tread.

I’ll try take some comparison pics.

+1

Don’t ride the Barzo in mud. It just packs in.

Curious, I run Barzo/Mezcal and have been thinking about putting some better muddy day tires on backup wheels. What would be some good options to try?

I generally lean towards the Forekaster for wetter conditions, but I rarely have need of them given I’m in SoCal.

People in wetter regions would be better to offer guidance.

I hear you. I’m in South Texas and get about 5 days of rain per year (exaggeration, but feels like it). I generally don’t have a problem were I live, but there are a few marathon races that seem to get rain every year, and I don’t feel too confident in that mud. I’ll see if others suggest anything. Thank you.

I just did a MTB 100 that 2 hours into the race it rained for a couple hours and left the course muddy. I was quite happy with the Mezcals 2.35. No, they are not a mud tire, but they handled the wet roots and mud pretty well and didn’t feel sketchy at all.

3 Likes

Hi all - any (UK) recommendation for a mixed terrain Wet XC tyre up front, I was thinking Forekaster…?

1 Like

The Barzo is a tire on my list to try as a rear tire. It has a very similar tread pattern to the conti cross king. The conti is good, but I’ve poked a hole in two different tires, so I’m looking to try something else. I’d also like to try the Wicked Will as a rear. I’m fully happy with the XR4 as a front tire - when I can get them.

I run a 2.35 barzo front and 2.25 Mezcal rear on 25mm rims. Our trails in west Michigan are sandy, loose over hard.

For what it’s worth, I’ll probably do a 2.35 mezcal all around next year. I’ve been trying to practice cornering more aggressive lately and can feel the mezcal hookup when I’m dialed, and the barzo does it’s job when things are just right. However, I’ve lost front end a few times when I hit an early apex and catch some loose dirt at the edge of the trail. That’s more on me than the tire obviously, but it’s not very forgiving where as the mezcal seems to bite more.

1 Like

I have a Barzo currently as a rear. I think it works well, but I’m not 100% sold on it, yet. I have found climbing on loose, the rear will spin out slightly - that could be on me. Shift the weight back slightly and it’s ok. Ripping on singletrack, down flowy trails with jumps and b erms, and well, just going fast it’s great.

1 Like

How’s the tread life and puncture resistance of the Barzo?

On a whim, I ordered some of the new Fast Traks to try. Partially because I realized my current setup is getting worn down and I am planning a longer event in September so I didn’t want to be without tires in case the supply chain was dry

1 Like

Nice! Let us know your impressions after a ride or 2 with the new Fast Traks.

So far so good. Have been down the typical Colorado sharp rock gardens, loose Eagle dust, Breck/Frisco etc. It’s only a 2.`1 rear at around 18-20 psi and no issues yet. The tire has maybe three weeks on it 100/120 miles a week and looking good. Will probably run it at the Firecracker.

I would switch to my standard Ikon or try the Mezcal in the rear, but as you know, getting tires right now is a struggle.