2021 Races & Rides -- Go or No?

This is true, but do remember that our capacity to produce new vaccine doses should be increasing, plus we get more and more practice at administering the doses, plus we will probably get some more current vaccine candidates improved.

That said, we are also going to be encountering vaccine refusals … I know a minority of healthcare workers are refusing to get vaccinated for now out of concern over side effects. I mean, I don’t agree but I do understand the vaccine approval process got really compressed. I don’t want to flame people who are nervous about potential side effects and who don’t want to jump first. For that matter, social media shaming certainly won’t work on the hardcore refusers…

I think your post sums it up well and you’re certainly making valid points without bashing anyone I think it’s important to understand that some people have valid concerns about a vaccine that had so much pressure behind it to get rolled out. My wife and I never thought anything malicious of it, but what if there are long term effects we don’t know of. Luckily some of our concerns were addressed by another friend in pharmacy regarding side effects, including the fact there were women in the studies who got pregnant (infertility was a concern of ours) and the short term effects as well. After analyzing the info and talking to other friends in the field, she’s getting her first vaccine Monday.

I think it’s unfortunate there is so much shaming over this thing. People with concerns have the right to information, and not to be called idiots. I find the most vocal people on either side are either “I’m not getting the vaccine it’s going to kill me and/or government will track me” or the flip side “I’ll take any vaccine they give me because I believe everything everyone says about anything” and are both equally stupid.

There’s also still no conclusive studies showing whether or not vaccinated people can still spread the virus to others, at least as of a week ago according to my friend who runs the COVID vaccination program at his hospital. Not a reason not to get it, but something to think about because the shots really only give you IIRC 9 months or so in the clear. He DID tell me that during studies, those who had the vaccine had higher antibodies and immunity than those who actually had COVID

To be clear, my comment about vaccination rate had absolutely nothing to do with people who chose not to get it, for whatever reason.

I’m specifically referring to the availability, tiering, and access to the vaccine. We simply aren’t getting doses into people who want them fast enough. Doses are being wasted. Demand dramatically outpaces supply but yet we haven’t used up supply :man_shrugging:

Once everyone who wants a vaccine has gotten one and we see how this pandemic is fairing, then we can start to talk about the other folks.

To be clear, my comment about vaccination rate had absolutely nothing to do with people who chose not to get it, for whatever reason.

And to be clear, the second half of my response was not really directed at you specifically. It was a thought that crossed my mind, triggered by your comment.

1 Like

I signed up for a may race, guess staggered start.

and me in EU, I’m not convinced it will happen.

It’s not happening here either. We now have all three virus variants locally and the vaccine rollout is going about as good as anywhere else (i.e. far from optimal). Also, my A Race is Nationals which is being held in the worst hot zone in the country. I can’t see it getting exponentially more fantastic within 6 months. By the time I race again I’ll be in a totally new Cat.! :laughing:

#trainfor2022…or2023

As stated:

My betting - at least in California - for anything mass start-ish:

• Before May < 10%
  • May - September < 50%
  • September - December ~50%

Power13,

I think the difference that tbright76 is stating is that he is going to enjoy life and not be scared by it. For some people in the US and around the world people are literally worrying themselves sick. I am not going to live in fear of the potential of getting sick. I live in a county that is “fully” open and has no restrictions on business or people but I respect others wishes and mask up when asked but if given a choice I will conduct life without. People like me are “tired” because we are treated like we are “sick” and being shammed if we choose to not live in fear. The sad part is the number of people who when talking are literally scared they will die if they get it when the #'s and data simply do not support the stance.

Now, if tbright76 was going around and licking everybodies food :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Please see my other posts…it is not just about you, it is about the likelihood that you will infect others due to your choices should you contract the virus.

We are all “tired” of this…but that isn’t a good reason to not do what we can do to minimize the spread of the virus. Masking up “when asked” isn’t it…

7 Likes

Here is the result of people being “tired” of taking reasonable precautions…first 500k deaths (globally) took 6 months. Most recent 500k deaths took 6 weeks.

1 Like

I’m more concerned about my weekly grocery run than I am a mass start bike race. That doesn’t mean I’m fully comfortable racing, but food for thought.

Pretending that there’s no grey area here doesn’t help. There’s a mental health component to this situation, and that for some individuals might be more of a threat than Covid. I’m not suggesting that races should go forward with little regard, they shouldn’t. It would seem there might be some consensus on outdoor versus indoor gathering.

Still, I’m in the waiting for a vaccine club.

1 Like

“I’m not going to live in fear” is a very limiting mindset. Comprehend that and the rest falls into place.

For those ‘don’t tread on me’ types, gov’ts and race organisers might decide if you get to race or not.

Besides, not racing for 18th place in a Cat.4 crit could keep a doctor or nurse from a lifetime prison sentence:

Agree. We take calculated risks as individuals every day. And society as a whole is comfortable with these calculated risks.

With COVID, the challenging part is it hasn’t been around long enough for society to align on what an acceptable degree of risk is.

And right now, opinions vary widely.

My view is that an outside bike race, managed in the right way, is an acceptable level of risk. Like the race Nate did in Telluride last summer.

The only race I’m currently signed up for is SBT GRVL (deferral from last year). But they’ll have to make some significant changes to that event for it to be safe enough for me to ride. Fewer participants; small wave starts; masks at aid stations. And I’ll ride as a solo TT. Not in a group.

I’ll sign up for others as I learn about their COVID protocols.

Hopefully, these vaccines will be effective enough, and widely enough available where a year from now aligning as society on the “acceptable degree of risk” will be a moot point.

5 Likes

I don’t see this going away anytime soon, definitely not this year. Wouldn’t surprise me if this drags out for the rest of the decade between the masks and distancing and general hysteria regarding case numbers and variants and people turning on each other over their opinions on the matter (everyone wear masks, and stay inside: nobody wear masks and do whatever you want). Personally I’m not going to spend the rest of my life waiting to live the rest of my life. When I’m eligible for the vaccine I’ll get it, when I need to wear a mask I’ll wear it, but I’m not putting everything on pause until somebody tells me it’s ok to come out again

5 Likes

I don’t think that’s terribly likely, nor is it constructive.

Covid needs to be taken seriously, but the far-fetched moral blackmail rhetoric only inflames the debate and legitimises those who seek to ignore any sensible guidance.

7 Likes

I’m at a university hospital in Chicago and only 40% of my coworkers took the vaccine this month. We work directly with covid patients day in day out and still 60% decided not to take it. With the amount of rampant misinformation, I have little faith the public is going to do much better. Unfortunately I think we will be dealing with COVID for some time to come.

2 Likes

My buddy who runs the COVID program at his hospital said around 1400/2000 of their staff voluntarily got the vaccine the rest haven’t. I think it’s important not to muddle everyone who doesn’t get a vaccine together, some have genuine concerns and questions because this was fast tracked and because there is conflicting info they want to research, others follow conspiracy theories and think it’s meant to control them. But you have people who are more than happy to lump the two together because it gives them something else to pound their chests about and boosts their moral self worth with the “anyone who doesn’t get the vaccine is a selfish idiot” morale, which doesn’t actually help anyone.

2 Likes

If your definition of “not living in fear” is not wearing a mask, not taking precautions to reduce the spread of covid, resulting in increased needless death, then of COURSE anyone like that should be shamed.

Now, if your definition of “not living in fear” is acting responsibly during a pandemic but steeling yourself and being a force of calm reassurance in the face of a deadly disease, then kudos to you.

Sounds like you are the first option there…

3 Likes

I’ll gladly trade my far-fetched shot at hobby glory for the far-fetched reality of a non-criminalised health care worker. Seems one is far more valuable than the other and the cost is embarrassingly minimal.

But that’s just me. I have a weird world view.

2 Likes