2021 Races & Rides -- Go or No?

I agree, most likely 12 months here in the US. I loose track of time sometimes. Is the date still March 287th or are we somewhere else?

And I agree with the train for events/races. I think I might have not been clear what I was really saying there. Before getting COVID I was training hard all year and would continue to train. But where I think it is insane is when Operation Warp Speed is actually a crawl right now and at the given rate people are being vaccinated I believe I saw it would take the US 31 years to have people vaccinated but some here still saying theyā€™re going to do race crits, road race, etc and travel for thoseā€¦ It is just not necessary and a selfish endeavor.

If you lose a year or two of racing in your lifetime, itā€™s not that big in the grand scheme of things compared to you dying or being the cause of someone else dying.

2 Likes

I just had a chat with Jeff Prinz who co-promotes the CBR series with his wife in SoCal. They are thinking April at the earliest for the first race but, realistically summer is when races will be able to be conducted safely. Also, the team I ride with promotes VOS here in Phoenix which has been cancelled for mid-February. Due to many reasons I donā€™t think it will be re-scheduled for 2021.

So, Iā€™m sort of tentatively planning on being spooled up for June. Not a huge change for most of you but, for me Iā€™m usually flying in late spring and then just manage the heat during the summer. Fitness always falls through September. Having a demanding career I have not figured out how to be strong late summerā€¦cheers.

Thanks for this - couldnā€™t find it anywhere online but was presuming it was cancelled. Are you aware of anywhere on their website that lists the cancellation officially?

Being a volunteer and member I got this email (cut nā€™ paste) below:

Hello to all WMRC Members, Volunteers and Guests:

It is with a lot of thought, support, feedback that the decision was made to cancel VOS 2021.

A few weeks ago, we were optimistic we could make VOS 2021 happen, but it was becoming more obvious that the right thing to do is cancel VOS 2021.

These are some of the main reasons:

Ā· The significant increase in Covid #ā€™s and deaths is overwhelming
Ā· The City of Phoenix is cracking down on sporting events involving over 50 participants
Ā· USAC is suggesting not planning events in Q1 (Jan-March) to avoid the postpone/cancelation cycle.
Ā· Redlands and the Tour of the Gila have both moved to fall

Events do not happen without Volunteers!!

We look forward with optimism to VOS 2022 !!

2 Likes

Pre and Post ride people should distance and wear masks. During the race or event or group ride, it seems pretty far fetched that someone would get infected from airborne particles when people are going 20+mph and thereā€™s a 10mph wind too, not saying itā€™s impossible, but seems highly unlikely. That said anyone who comes should be taking the proper safety measures everywhere else and not be careless, and anyone who doesnā€™t want to take the chance doesnā€™t have to come. They also doesnā€™t have to bash or demean the people who donā€™t make the same choice. I donā€™t recall people being so emotional about outdoor dining

Turn off TV and msm sources and itā€™ll be good to go.

Use ur common sense.

Stop watching paid commercials for fear pron.

1 Like

Well that didnā€™t take long lol

Sounds like a strong opinion on your part, and the feeling is mutual. Life goes on

1 Like

Itā€™s not for the 339k people in the United States as of December 30th. What would it take for you to care? 500k deaths? 1 million deaths? Or does it directly have to affect you where someone close to you dies or ends up in the ICU?

I doubt the group ride has everyone masked up till the second of roll out and masked up as soon as you get back. Pass it between others there and then expose someone who was never part of the ride. Thatā€™s what people with your logic seem to forget/ignore.

I believed restaurant indoor or outdoor dining was not the best idea for people but understand that people need to work and provide for their families. That is clearly a risk for those working there and those going there. Carryout is the better choice. Restaurants, grocery stores, etc are vital to the economy. The local Wednesday Night Worlds or business park crit is not.

6 Likes

Iā€™m hoping the vaccine works well enough to have safe races in the US. Iā€™m hoping to get into the Leadville Silver Rush 50 and Austin Rattler for my out of town trips.

Good thing this last year is I have a ton of vacation time built up that didnā€™t expire at the end of the year.

I really hope this virus gets under control and we can get back to racing safely.

We actually have lost someone to COVID, my family is simply taking all the precautions we can when we go out and not sitting locked up at home in fear. If youā€™d rather avoid certain activities thatā€™s your business, and the activities I choose to do are mine :+1:t4:

4 Likes

Not if you asymptomatically spread it to me. No sir.

6 Likes

I could also spread it to you at the grocery store if we touch the same shopping cart or piece of fruit. Could also happen in the parking lot. Letā€™s not pretend pedestrian masks are 100% effective.

1 Like

We could play ā€œwhat-aboutā€“ismā€ for ages. There is a chasm between your world and mine ā€“ I doubt either of us will attempt to cross it.

/out

4 Likes

Put me in the camp of I wonā€™t be doing events till Iā€™m vaccinated. And since Iā€™m towards the very back of the line, that probably rules out any event in 2021.

Iā€™m lucky: I work for a software company, so working remote hasnā€™t negatively affected me / my wife at all. So Iā€™m trying to be mindful of everyone who isnā€™t so lucky. And if that means another year of just training with no group rides, that is a small sacrifice

18 Likes

:point_up:

6 Likes

Never realised how event focused some people are. I enjoy training, and i also enjoy not being fat and slow, so events wonā€™t change much for me. Then again, iā€™m living somewhere which managed to get a handle on it, and life (including racing) is largely normal.

If i stopped training while i waited for events, i have a lot of time to fillā€¦

Races are really important to me not just for the thrill of racing and the purpose it gives me but also because Iā€™ve got a good number of friends who Iā€™ve made through racing that I only see at events. Normally thatā€™s 10-20 times a year I get to hang out and laugh with these folk. This year I managed 2.
Looking forward to better times. Am pinning my hopes on a full cx season in 2021.

5 Likes

I canā€™t comment on the US but in the UK 3/4 of the country is in effective lockdown. The statements from the Government seem to indicate a likely relaxation of the rules - assuming all goes well - from late Spring. Realistically I cannot see mass participation events prior to late Summer at the best and quite possibly not in 2021 at all. Sadly, I think that makes the it is/it is not ok discussion rather academic, at least here. My own personal take is that we all have a responsibility to follow the rules, whatever they may be - simple as that.

4 Likes

Apparently 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo has been cancelled.
https://epicrides.com/events/24-hours-in-the-old-pueblo/event-guide/24hop-canceled/