2021 Races & Rides -- Go or No?

apparently they somehow achieved 90% effectiveness

50M by EOY, 1.3B by EOY 2021 (2 doses needed for immunity, though, so 25M people could get vaccinated by EOY)

fingers crossed!

3 Likes

Iā€™m signed up for a MTB race this weekend. Beyond the start, I think itā€™s a low risk situation. I bailed on other races this year that didnā€™t seem as safe. Gravel race that would see a lot of pack riding, and another MTB race that has a ton of road and therefore group tactics involved, not comfortable with that until a vaccine. A more traditional MTB race with extended climbing, Iā€™m feeling pretty OK with. I agree that we take a bigger risk by visiting Trader Joeā€™s (and their protocol is excellent and a big reason why they get my business), I also acknowledge that traveling to purchase food is necessary and that bike racing certainly is not. Admit that Iā€™m experiencing fatigue from missing out on normal social activities - my belief is that we should start trying to be smart about social situations, instead of canceling everything can we move to a modified version? Iā€™d like to see more MTB races use a TT format for example. Imagine going to a party and everyone gets a quick test before entering?

PS, Iā€™m still not 100% sure Iā€™m going to race FWIW

3 Likes

I raced a MTB Marathon this past weekend (Austin Rattler) that was handled very well and I felt totally safe at all times. About 500 participants. Held at a ranch with tons of space and all open pavilions - no closed spaces. Wave start with groups going off every 5 min and each group spaced 6 ft apart at start. Groups waiting to start were scattered over a large area. Chip timed so basically a time trial and racers scattered over a 21 mile course. Awards handled as each group top 3 came in so no big award session and people started leaving over time.

2 Likes

I think that seems pretty reasonable.

I was at the same race. Iā€™d say they did a decent job, but there was room for improvement. We were pretty stacked up at the start without masks on, even with the wave starts. Thatā€™s the only time I was in close proximity to others for any significant duration all day.

I did the Belgian Waffle ride last month and they required masks in the starting pens and actually during a long neutral rollout as well as at aid stations. Not everyone was masked at the aid stations, but they got pretty good compliance.

For a mtb race like the rattler, it would have been reasonable to have masks on while waiting for the start and then everyone take them off 30 seconds before the gun. Everything Iā€™ve read about the virus is that itā€™s really the viral load combined with length of exposure. Outdoors is pretty low risk regardless, but itā€™s an easy ask to have people wear masks until the race starts. During my second lap and first half of my 3rd lap (time span of ~3 hours), I saw less than 5 other riders. It was strangely isolated, but clearly very low risk of spread at a race like that.

Agree that gravel racing would be higher risk, but itā€™s still outside and the fields typically get blown into small groups very quickly. Weā€™ve got local gravel events happening both of the next 2 weekends in central texas and I plan to race. The are implementing the typical stuff with limited contact, outdoor venue, no registration on site, etc. I donā€™t know if they are capping numbers, looks like around 175 folks are signed up so far for this coming weekend.

Probably true right at the front of the group. I lined up near the back of my group right at the last minute and maintained distance. Given that it was essentially a time trial and I wasnā€™t going to place there was no reason for me to try to be up at the front.

Gravel I think could be made safer by having small wave starts, chip timing and perhaps even outlawing drafting. Most of the organizers around me arenā€™t doing gravel events because they usually start in small towns and they donā€™t want hundreds of people congregating in the town ( or canā€™t get permits to do so).

This is the ideal, but the technology is not there. Current PCR test have an intolerable % of false negatives during the first 10 days of exposure for non symptomatic ppl.

1 Like

Yep, I just think most people are focused on a ā€œcureā€ in a vaccine and an accurate rapid test seems more realistic. Although the news of a vaccine in December certainly is hopeful.

I am optimistic. Survival rates are way up as treatment protocols are improving and our understanding of the disease is improving. I think race directors will get creative in how to reduce the risks as well.

I respect people might come to different conclusions than me but I think not living while we are alive is damaging. I am planning to take on the same challenges next year as I would have done this year if things were not disrupted. I am not a competitive rider and will never be a podium threat, but in my view taking on challenges and feeling the rewards, disappointments and discovering the limits of our abilities is part of making life meaningful. My view is probably somewhat shaped by my personal experience of family members struggling with depression and addiction issues compared to the people who have had it.

4 Likes

Big go for me ā€“ Iā€™ve been super depressed and down in the dumps this year without racing. This was going to be my first year doing P/1/2 road events and Iā€™m hoping to step up to Cat 1/Domestic Elite/semi-pro/call-it-what-you-will level and this year was incredibly disappointing. Iā€™m 24 and it feels like I lost a year (and one of my young years at that!) of my life doing nothing. Racing and travel make up a huge part of my life and I miss it a ton. I really hope the pandemic is under control enough next year that I can get back to what I had planned on doing this year ā€“ traveling across the country to bigger regional/national level events and making a trip over to Europe for a block of racing there.

Itā€™s happeningā€¦

1 Like

Texas has a February race on the calendarā€¦ weā€™ll see if it happens or not.

Is that Tommyā€™s race or something else? I love that race and I would love to support it. I want to win it too (for my AG) or at least end up on a step. Thatā€™s definitely another downside to not racing, raising money for memorial races and other good causes. We can all donate without a race but do we? My guess is most people do not for these grassroots causes. I usually just donā€™t think about it, sadly.

Crockett Classic.

Excellent, thank you. Thatā€™s one I have not done.

Not planning any events that require travel of any significance.

Really just looking at local stuff and will wait to sign up until much closer to the event.

A local MTB series has opened registration for races that run Jan - Mar. Iā€™d love to sign up to support them but am very disappointed that they have basically completely ignored the COVID situation. No mention of new protocols or back up plans at all. Basically just asking us to sign up and hope.

Iā€™m open to racing locally and I think there are ways to hold events safely (TT starts, etc) but just carrying on like itā€™s business as usual is not the way to go.

I canā€™t see the pandemic being too much worse in February than it is now, particularly if they can start vaccinating the high risk groups by then. I guess weā€™ll see. We had a big MTB race in central texas last weekend, a gravel race is happening this coming weekend (with the menā€™s field sold out), and 2 gravel race options the following weekend. There have been other MTB and cross races as well. With the current rise in CV cases, Iā€™m kind of surprised there is so much racing going on right now, but at least promotors are modifying events to reduce the risk of spread.

UTEP to play ā€œhome gameā€ in Midland

Meanwhile in Texas, UTEP is playing their next football game over 300 miles away in Midland. I know, thatā€™s down the street by Texas standards. But living here itā€™s interesting how much things vary across the state. Then again Iā€™ve had people check on me after hurricanes hit Houston, and had to explain how thatā€™s almost 700 miles from me.

1 Like

New mandates handed down yesterday:

Sports activities can continue, but there is to be no travel outside of communities for games or competitions, and no spectators are allowed. League organizers should continue planning for 2021 with todayā€™s modifications in mind.

Looks like 2021 will be another training year.

1 Like

I dunno. Pfizer just applied for an emergency approval for their vaccine, looking to start in December in the US. Iā€™m personally starting to feel hopeful for actual events in 2021, esp for CX season.

1 Like