2021 Goals/Resolutions

My Goal is to join a cycling club and go out on some decent group rides that hold a good pace.

Less plodding along with friends and more time riding with serious cyclists.

5 Likes

Where are you located?

Trying to focus on skills so that I can get faster on the descents. If racing runs, complete my first Enduro.

• Mountain bike more (79 days in 2020)
  • Do a gap jump!
  • Complete my current training plan
  • Do a skills course (MTB or Skiing)
1 Like
  1. Cease reading all POL and VO2max threads in TR Forum :neutral_face:

2. Get out on trails at least two times per week and incorporate dedicated skills sessions. There are 5-6 difficult but doable “features” on my regular trails which I haven’t cleared or don’t clear consistently. By Summer want to clean them all most of the time.

3. Push the long days into the 3-5 hour range more frequently.

4. Stick to the plan. Have mapped out a solid training plan through June. Execute it.

Best of the new year to everyone.

4 Likes

Meh. Then how will you know what type of training is the best?!? :laughing:

4 Likes

^^^this, I’d rather ride my bike (or do anything else really, or even do nothing at all) than watch people try to outdo each other with jargon.

3 Likes

concur. I say this as someone turning 41 this next month, but these threads seem to all be old nerds arguing and splitting hairs. I guess middle aged dudes will always find something to argue about on the internet lol

2 Likes

Sadly mine haven’t changed from this thread in 2019! Other than needing a bigger watt increase that is!

• Get my FTP over 250 (will need a 55W increase)
  • Race a couple more crits and hill climbs
  • Go bike packing
  • Improve mental health - I need to recognise I am not my FTP or weight or bike or bike kit

A range of physical, event and mental goals, but at least I have the bike and kit to go camping now so I’m a step closer!

2 Likes

I’m adding a resolution - sometime in 2021 will go for a ride with this local club I joined:

2 Likes

You have no idea what you’re talking about

:wink:

4 Likes

Unfortunately you speak the truth lol

2 Likes

Honestly doing these types of rides was one of the great bonuses of the COVID-19 race calendar in 2020. Got to connect with teammates and friends for some long, fun, rides searching out the best bakeries and creameries in our area. I don’t want to give that up even when racing is back at a full schedule

1 Like

I’m still being a bit conservative and only ridden solo except for one Wed night a couple months ago, when I pulled a riding buddy and Wed night regular out to the river and got to set the pace / do my workout. We are similar age, and they don’t let their 20 something into the house because she lives in a 8 bedroom place near Cal State Univ. So that was an easy one to let into the bubble (plus the outside thing).

Well, at the river we met up with the Wed night crew, and I fist bumped a local Kona age grouper and then the following week saw a Strava post that she was in quarantine :scream: Kinda freaked out a bit, and then remembered she winters in Kona (west coast version of a snow bird), and Hawaii has/had a strict quarantine program.

1 Like

Yeah - I rode with 5 other people total all year - all relatively low risk.

I delayed doing any rides with others until June, but my mental health started to deteriorate and I decided I needed the social interaction and it was worth expanding my bubble to include a small group

2 Likes

I hear ya, there are others I would ride with but their fitness is too high relative to mine after my dedicated 3 month strength training block this summer.

Welcome to TR lokerola! Good luck on your goals!

2 Likes

My goals for 2021 are:

1. Ride a 100-mile race (ride if no races).
    1B. Attempt a 150 to 200-mile ride. (Longest so far is 108 miles)
  2. Attain 3.0w/kg
  3. Be consistent. Focus on progress over perfection
  4. Have a good time. This will mean, getting away from the numbers now and then. My MTB is a fun diversion
3 Likes

Thanks @SoaringBear !

Mentally distance myself from work stress when I’m not working.
Ramp test ftp 300 watts (currently 281). 4 w/kg (currently 3.7)
300 hours on the bike, 400 hours exercising
Get some real Z2 volume in during Jan/Feb
Place middle of the pack in sport class for local mtb events
Figure out cyclocross upgrade system and move up from Cat 5.
Don’t eat food off the floor even a single time.

1 Like

Ummm…

5 Likes