2020 Vuelta discussion thread

Exactly.

Now why INEOS brought him given his form… :man_shrugging:t2: Maybe they were light on riders, given the heavy schedule between the classics and Giro going on at the same time, and other guys being tired from the Tour.

1 Like

Finally we are witnessing some action from Movistar Team. We’ve been expecting this reaction since… well, forever :slight_smile:

Nice stage, well deserved win for Marc and the team. Let’s see how this unfolds, but it seems it’s going to be a grueling effort for GC contenders if they pretend to mantain this level throughout the Vuelta.

We’ve seen a lot in the last couple weeks - motorcycles, trains, road furniture, and now horses. Over here in these parts I almost ran over a squirrel that appeared to have a death wish!

4 Likes

Years ago, my buddy had a suicidal squirrel run out, get caught in his front wheel and come up and get jammed in the fork. Besides literally ripping the squirrel in half, it destroyed his fork, broke his collarbone, fractured scapula and a concussion. He was found lying on the road by a passerby (he was riding solo).

DO NOT TRUST SQUIRRELS ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. THEY WILL FOOK YOU UP.

4 Likes

A lot of folks up near @russell.r.sage ride a country road up to a fire station. Its a nice bit of climbing and a few descents on the way up. I’m not the only one that has been scared by deer and squirrels after rounding a corner at 30+mph. :flushed:

Not sure why I’m quoted here as my comments were about Seep instead of Froome. LOL

Is this per chance related to the Chicago Alderman from a few years ago? I tell people about that story all the time as warning for riding around here, especially this time of the year. The pictures of his bike were pretty wild if memory serves.

Yikes!!

No, this was a different incident up in the northern Chicago 'burbs.

1 Like

Is this on in the USA anywhere?
Not that I’m gonna pay for another service.

Google Tiz Cycling.

NBC Spots Gold is carrying. If you don’t want to pay for it (~$60 / year I think), if you have Comcast / Xfinity as your provider, the Olympic Channel carries the stage later in the day.

If you subscribe to Sports Gold, you also get commercial-free coverage of the Tour (no Phil & Bob, which makes it worth it, IMO), Worlds, Roubaix, the Vuelta and a handful of CX races. I have always found it worth the $$.

2 Likes

NBC’s Peacock service for $5 month, payable monthly

It may be me, but I really enjoy having Christian Vande Velde as a commentator. He knows what he is talking about unlike the usual pair of the TDF. Now if we could find a replacement for Bob Roll…

1 Like

NBC also does a good 20 minute stage recap on YouTube, which is honestly about how much of the racing I want to watch. Like how Bein sports does 90 in 30 for soccer matches, which is similarly about the only way I can actually make the time to watch.
Here is one of them to save you some searching:

Definitely you. :rofl:

While he has improved, the guy still struggles to complete a sentence way too often.

Don’t even get me started on Roll…guy wrote one funny book 30 years ago and has been living off that rep ever since.

Seriously, NBC has the worst commentators…guys who are way past their prime, aren’t good announcers and have been living off their reputations / connections.

So many good announcers out there and they continue to trot out these has-beens.

2 Likes

Roll steamrolled over me backstage Tour of Cali when I was UCI anti-doping volunteer, so I have some opinions… Christian Vande Velde may hit his stride, I don’t have a problem with him but I’d rather listen to Matt Stephens.

I mean , it’s a low standard to beat (tdf team) but at least it doesn’t have me looking for the Eurosport feed within 10minutes

1 Like

Wow I gotta say. This autumnal vuelta looks absolutely gorgeous.
Don’t envy the riders though :joy:

3 Likes

Is no one watching the Vuelta or were we all distracted with the finale of the Giro today?

Great stage today, even if the weather made it hard to see what was going on. Superb ride by Hugh Carthy and great to see Dan Martin back up towards the front of GC. After being lauded at the Tour (at least, before the last stage…) Jumbo Visma seemed to come down to earth with a bump today. Roglic admitted that his issue today was mostly inability to get his rain jacket on quickly before the last descent.

These clothing malfunctions are so weird to me. The pros spend endless hours obsessing over the tiniest of details about their training and nutrition and so on, but something silly like this hampers their performance in a GT?!
Why don’t the take a Jacket out on recovery rides for instance and practice it like they practice everything else.

1 Like