1000 watts for one minute. Is it true?

If you are in Hampshire then Calshot (140m) is more accessible - but not a standard track distance.
Newport and Lee Valley in London might be easier to get to than Manchester.

1 Like

Here are my numbers, not so great considering I’m 100KG.

1 Like

Your sub 30s numbers are massive!!! :muscle:t2:

1 Like

I’m definitely not built for endurance, my 20m and greater power numbers need some serious help. I also need to lose 10-15kg as well, I get dropped any serious climbs.

1 Like

Or go to track and crush :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is my next big goal for 2022. It is definitely possible. I’m very much an amateur UK cat 2 racer. Spent the last 3 months racing crits and this last week or 2 switched it up to aim for that big top end. Did a baseline 60’ test at the end of a hard week of efforts this week (bad time to do it I know) and hit 947 @89kg but ran out of incline with a few seconds to go so dumped all the power. I’m confident I can push that a lot higher after I introduce some resistance/plyo & re-test on good legs. 1345 for 30’

4 Likes

Video: 1000W for 35 seconds

If strapped in, add 1.5 seconds before my cadence plummeted into oblivion. :wink:

Bodyweight ≅ 94kg

Also, @joncyclist22’s numbers are dubious. Lots of other reasonable data in this very cool thread. I’m sure some is replete with error too, but the 15W/kg for 1 minute raised a big red flag for me.

1071 W / 70 kg = 15.3 W/kg
Coggan’s top number 11.5 W/kg

30% better than World Class? :thinking::pensive:

I’ve written diet plans for world class track cyclists and thereby had access to their historical data.

Guys who weigh 20-30kg more than him don’t often match those absolute watts.

My most decorated & talented athlete:

• 15+ yrs national team member & >20 years track racing
  • Olympic medalist & world champion
  • 89-95kg body weight
  • Historical power curve identical to 70kg @joncyclist22’s. :slight_smile:
  • 11.5-11.6 W/kg 1-min power, at best. (Possibly part of the data Coggan used to form his famed table). Usually more like 10.5-11 W/kg.

With 1071 W for 1-min, half the people on this forum could give any 70kg athlete a bike fit and they’d win Olympic gold in whatever they wanted.

5 Likes

Interesting insights - helpful thanks :+1:t2:

As an update on progress, I had Covid in March and everything went to sh*t.

Struggling now to hit 1200w peak and 1-minute power is down to high 600s / low 700s.

Weight has also jumped slightly to 96kg.

I guess things will come back in time, but I can’t help feeling deflated as my progress has been good up until after got unwell and I was on track to hit the kilowatt minute by year end.

@Dr_Alex_Harrison from your experience with those athletes you noted, would you say someone like myself (49 year old fairly average fitness guy with circa 9 hours a week to train) has even half a chance at this goal?

I ask as I don’t want to be wasting my time on a fools errand :joy:

Felt like it was within reach earlier this year but I guess looking a numbers I would still need to have added 100w which is over a 10% increase in 1-minute power, which on reflection is a lot :smiley:

Any insight or advice gratefully received :+1:t2:

1 Like

Stumbling across this thread as a self proclaimed slow twitch athlete…

I went out and attempted my max sprint at the end of a long ride - 1000w for a total of… 11 seconds! (at 65kg). Fair play to you guys making it over 30 seconds I cant fathom putting that sort of power down!

Let alone a peak power of over 2500W

1 Like

Never even seen 4 digits in my power data… Think my 11 second best is around 700 watts… (72 kg)

1 Like

I’ve only seen it since I started strength training for the first time this year - I’ve stopped during build phase but perviously I’ve never seen peak over 850 :slight_smile:

MVDP just did 30sec at 14w/kg a week or so in training.

That’s the highest I’ve ever seen for a 30sec sprint. Particularly, for a road cyclist.

15+ for a minute? Is that even possible?

That’s 915w for a minute for me. Totally impossible. I’d be lucky to do that for 18secs on my best day. For context I’m 61kg and essentially a road sprinter.

This is correct. Your lifting history has facilitated your kilowatt minute a great deal.

If this is your best, then, I’d be very surprised if you get to 1000W for a minute. I know, I’m a wet blanket here, but your power numbers are already very impressive. Get to the track! You’ll enjoy the experience. :slight_smile:

Your best numbers are 900 for 45 sec, and 800W for 60 sec, right?

900W for 45 sec = 25% short on duration, and 10% short on power.
800W for 60 sec = 20% short on power.

I’d posit that the 800W for 60 sec is the more impressive number.

A 20% improvement in 1-minute power is hard, but not impossible, for a well-trained athlete at age 25 or 30. I’d consider 800W for 60s reasonably well-trained already. Feasibility for a young person here would depend on how much wiggle room under their strength and power genetic ceiling they’ve got left. If you’ve already pushed weight room numbers pretty high, 20% is going to be nearly impossible at age 49.

The final 20 seconds is where dreams go to die. A 40-45 second power is likely to be closer to a 30-second power number than a 1-minute power number, FYI.

Reason: intense muscular fatigue as you transition from using creatine phosphate & glycolysis to aerobic metabolism. Pain, acid, metabolite build-up, all the things.

I’d absolutely love to be wrong on all counts here.

2 Likes

As a cyclist who’s averagely fit (4.5-5 w/kg) but never done any weight training how much of a difference can this make?

I was the same boat as you last year - I didn’t see any benefit to actual FTP but robustness and max power up to 30 sec. But for XC racing these are all very important contributions.

@Henry_Lee See below! That’s what I’d expect.

Not at all - exactly the frank insight I was hoping for :smiley: and helpful to know.

Yep pretty much :+1:t2:

Thanks - I hadn’t thought of it from that perspective :thinking:

Interesting- I haven’t lifted weights at all since January 2016 so I wonder if going back to some targeted lifting would help the numbers somewhat.

I imagine there will be still at least a little room to improve / regain lost strength even at my age; albeit perhaps I’m naively hoping that past performance (now long since faded) might mean there is some latent ‘headroom’ left for me to capitalise on?

This is so true :laughing:

Thanks for such a helpful and detailed reply - really useful to help me reframe my goal.

I will continue to do my best to improve and see how much more I can squeeze out / better I can do, without being so hung up on the finite target.

Journey versus outcome :smiley:

My <30 second (5, 10, 15, 20, 30) power figures are below, would I be likely to see increases in maximum output or mostly improvements in repeatability?

I guess the question I’m trying to ask is will it be worth it? Fitting gym work into my week would mean sacrificing riding (not that I do any kind of structured training).

1 Like

Yes there is. Also higher early injury risk as you return to the weight room as a formerly strong but now deconditioned from lifting person.

You also will reap gains faster than someone who was not currently below their past strength bests.

Words to the wise, start SO SO light and easy… no… even lighter and easier, when you return to lifting from time off.

Biggest reason: safety.

The reason that will actually convince most people to not go hard, or anywhere near it, is: that you can actually get better results by going easier and slowly ramping training.

The less you do during the first few days and weeks coming back to training, the more responsive your body will be to training in the coming weeks afterwards. You’ll be able to continue progressing for longer, and 6 weeks from now will be stronger than if you hit the first few days back at 50+% of your older 1RM’s. My first day back in the gym, I legitimately just start with the bar. Or at least I tell myself that’s what I’m going to do.

3 Likes

Yeah, if you include both power and strength training. Probably worth hitting 2 sessions a week for a month, then 1 session a week for a couple months, just to text the waters as to what the bike results will be for you. I’d anticipate a little bump in all power domains, and maybe first at the 1-10s range, then extended out to 20-30 seconds as you train into that on the bike (if you plan to do any sprint training at all).

2 Likes