Ramp Test Follow-up Workouts

That’s an interesting twist. Curious to hear the TR coaches on this question. While they did introduce the TR ramp test with talk about it allowing for other workouts after, it’s also noteworthy that now the ramp test is in the actual plans it’s solo on its prescribed days. @Nate_Pearson, @Jonathan?

@dbf an additional workout is a valid option and even encouraged if folks don’t feel the ramp test gave them enough training stress.

It’s always wise to favor a conservative approach though, and after that hard effort, the best approach may be calling it a day after the Ramp Test. YMMV, and this is another one of those “listen to your body” scenarios. :+1:

3 Likes

Also make sure you cool down after your ramp test. Coggan’s comment was spurred by one of our agents saying “We don’t make you cool down” after the ramp test. He thought not having a cool down was not smart at all.

While technically true we don’t hand cuff you to your bike we do guide you through a cool down.

If you think about it, the ramp test is no harder than you often go in races, and you often go that deep multiple times in a race. I think you even go that hard trying to get Strava KOMs :-D.

4 Likes

Totally. Thanks @Jonathan. I’ve done Carson -5 after ramps a few times myself and seemed to handle it OK.

Was mostly responding to notion from @Jayacher above about deep and serious stress state according to Coggan. Sounds perilous!

I dunno how you all do a sweet spot workout after even a ramp test - I’m usually pretty blown. Which is why my favorite workout after ramping is Taku. Adds a little stress and calorie burn to make the test feel perfectly complemented.

2 Likes

Agreed, @sperho. Frankly, if you can do a Sweet Spot workout after a ramp test, I wonder if you truly went as deep as you need to go during the ramp test to get the best estimate of your FTP. I’m sure that a highly conditioned athlete could struggle through and survive some SST work post-ramp-test (and after 15 minutes of easy, easy spinning), but if you go that route and sail through your Sweet Spot intervals, I highly recommend repeating the ramp test and pushing yourself harder.

2 Likes

Some of us are just super strong Chad :smile: .

4 Likes

Based on this info, I will remove the SST workouts I had listed.

Joking aside, kudos to anyone doing more after a ramp test, I’ll be over here trying not to chunder…

Not necessary, @mcneese.chad. Some riders can actually handle it. And it won’t take the others long to discover that they can’t. :wink:

1 Like

I usually look at what I will be doing next Tuesday, for example say Bashful +1, so VO2 intervals. Then, I pedal easily until minute 30, then I do a 1 hour easy aerobic ride, e.g., Pettit, and then I do a 30 minutes workout that is similar to what I will be facing next Tuesday, in this case Bashful -3.

Regards,

Néstor

No additional workout after the ramp test for me. But I’d like to do the LSCT warmup (the original one, with intervals of 4, 4 and 3 minutes long, the current warmup is 6/6/3) to get a sense of how rested I am.

Does that make sense / would it influence the outcome of the test much?

1 Like

Personally taku is about the limit of what I can handle after a ramp test!

Really doubt it, @FryskBloed. Just make sure you do it every time you perform a ramp test.

1 Like

I’m with you, @brenph, it ruins me for the day. But maybe I’m just not as tough as I used to be. :wink:

I’ve just done a ramp test, and there was no way on God’s earth that I was able to do another workout!!! I did ten minutes of gentle spinning to cool down, but was utterly spent. It was my intention to do one of the recommended workouts afterwards, but I could do no more!

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it basically shows that you gave it all in the test, and that is the most important thing to do.

(I need to work on that myself and not bail early, which I do too often.)

1 Like

So…I did ramp test yesterday as just finished SS base 2 (low volume) and about to start low volume sustained power build.
Planned on doing carillion -5 afterwards…or Taku if felt too knackered…well…
Pushed so so hard on ramp test (rise from 278 to 291) and in no fit state to even do Taku afterwards!!! Did warm down at about 50-60W whilst slumped over bars, then staggered to the back door (I work out in the garage), having to stop and be little sick half way.

So…Felt I finally pushed myself enough on ramp test!!! Problem is can I push myself that hard next time for a fair comparison!!! Lol.

I would say, if you can do much more than Taku…could you have gone harder on ramp test?

5 Likes

I’m generally able for one of the endurance workouts, but admittedly I normally take 5 off the bike…

1 Like

I have used Carter after my last 2 tests. Bailed in the first attempt due to exhaustion from the Ramp.

Finished it after the 2nd Ramp, but it sure felt like work, for being such an easy workout.