Our Training Plans are Improving

Still think as you access to our Strava past and other sites like that, you could see where our weaknesses are and from that ask a simple question… Want to be a better… X

Sprinter
Climber
and so on…

Machine Learning…

Analyze the past rides seeing where and how Power was put down… clearly this is a Huge thing for those us who have Power Meters… and would be a good reason for others to get them too.

Am I personally doing the right thing by picking a ‘Sprinting’ type of plan right now? Who knows, I had to thumb that out based on the groups rides I go on… want to be able to Sprint better at those Town Lines Sprints that happen… but… is this actually the right move for me? Should I instead be looking at my climbing?

Hello Machine Learning? Got an answer… automatically build a plan for me?

Honestly hope to see you guys head in this direction. Love the plans… but knowing if are indeed the right thing… well thats where that huge amount of past data is helpful and insightful!

1 Like

You also have to ask “What are your goals”

No use working on a sprint for a triathlete!

I think everyone is trying to get to where you’re going (I know we sure are). I just think we have the best data to get there :smiley:.

4 Likes

Thank you go letting that Golden Nugget out into the open… Machine Learning… here we come! :smile:

1 Like

Yes!!! Awesome!

As an older user of TR , am a right in thinking the future plans will take my age into account or have I got the wrong idea?

4 Likes

We’re always looking at ways to make master’s riders faster :smiley:. I that vague enough for you? :wink:

15 Likes

@Nate_Pearson I’ve probably contributed more fails than most, so any help would be welcome, :rofl:

3 Likes

TR’s resident lanterne rouge? :wink:

3 Likes

You guys keep failing and my workouts will get easier… keep it up fellas!

4 Likes

Love this idea!

One request I would have (for peace of mind and goal setting): even if you don’t publish the process to measure failure, the masochist in me would love if there was a tag or note for ‘failed’ workouts.

The logic being that there are some workouts (VO2 max lately) that I end up turning down (5% or more) in order to complete each interval, often with more than a few backspins. Does that count as a ‘failure’ by TR standards? (See Spencer: Log In to TrainerRoad ) I would love to be able to see a ‘failure’ clearly marked, so I can note a need to revisit/repeat that workout, measure improvements, and see target growth over time on that specific area through a season.

Is that something that’s in the development plan?

4 Likes

:frowning: I’m not a big fan of this idea… I take great pride in finishing workouts and when the toughest ones come, I do what it takes to make sure I’m on my game with rest, nutrition, hydration, etc… to give myself the biggest opportunity to knock it out.

I feel a huge sense of accomplishment when I finish rides like Spanish Needle and can look over “All Rides” and see that there’s a large percentage of people who just didn’t take it seriously enough or weren’t there mentally… or just had something come up where the couldn’t finish the ride… and I gutted it out.

Ya, there’s rides that I can’t finish for one reason or another too. Those are just ones for me to reflect and figure out where I failed.

I understand the desire to get workouts in that everyone can finish, but with that, aren’t you kind of catering to an average rider who will end up with average gains?

It kind of reminds me of college physics. There were always these test questions that seemed pretty much impossible to decipher, so I approached the professor and asked about them. He told me those were the questions that separate the good students from the cream of the crop.

11 Likes

Harder does not always equal better

5 Likes

If it’s in my plan and I can maintain my power and cadence targets and not miss or skip workouts, I think harder generally will equal better.

2 Likes

One training method which has been spoken of of lot lately is the Polarised method. Any plans which will basically incorporate the 80 - 20% (Easy - Hard) method?

3 Likes

@Nate_Pearson if I have a plan in my calendar should I delete and readd? I have my year planned out but I’ve only just begun, and about to finish SSB 1 next week.

1 Like

I think you are missing the point, they aren’t making workout changes so everyone can finish. But say you have a workout for example (Spanish Needle) where 85% of users modify (lower intensity, duration, back pedal, quit, etc.) is that really a well structured workout? Workouts should be difficult, challenging and sometimes down right impossible to finish based on what you brought into the workout. However, they should be able to be finished by at minimum the majority (51%) as long as the user properly followed a structured plan. Workouts are meant to grow your fitness, not demoralize and destroy.

I’d say you’re doing a disservice to 85% of their users, or possibly 100% of their users. Even if you finish that workout did you pay for it over the next following workouts? TR has the unique ability to perform 10’s of thousand of “studies” on their subjects (users) to determine the effectiveness of their workouts and plans. Chad is amazing, but that doesn’t mean that every workout every created is perfect and has been perfectly placed in each plan. Tweaking is growing and one should never assume that their work can not be improved upon.

7 Likes

This is coming as part of a larger future feature. We’ll have an auto-detection as well as manual set/override.

11 Likes

This goes back to the “hard rides should be hard”. We view that there should be a good amount of failure going on, just some workouts were outside the norm.

I also think you’ll really really like some of our upcoming features :smiley: .

3 Likes

No. I can’t find anything that backups that 80/20 is better. The data shows that the best riders don’t train this way.

Sure, 80/20 can work, but the question is what is the best bang for your buck for your training volume.

That being said, if I’m aware of new data we can always change and adapt. :muscle:

7 Likes

There’s only a few workouts you’d have to change out, check out the linked posts. It might be easier to switch those out. You could just push through too.

3 Likes