Dear Trainer Road Community,
In addition to the awesome podcast, I have been following the discussions on the forum - great stuff and a lot of know-how here!
As written in the description of the topic, my race season is focused on Gran Fondos. This season I would like to try to use TR for preparation (worked with a coach last year). However, I have a few questions and would be thankful for your advice. First some info on myself:
- Age 29
- FTP over 1 hour 300 Watts, last season peak was 315, targeting 325 @ 65 kg this season
- Second season following a training plan (worked with a coach last season but would like to use TR)
- Races will be Gran Fondos in Central Europe, e.g. Engadiner Radmarathon @ 211km with 3500m climbing and Ötztaler Radmarathon @ 238km with 5000m climbing
Now my questions:
- What plan to chose?
- Build: Sustained Power - mid volume
- Specialty - mid volume: Century or Climbing Road Race? From what I read the Century plan is more for people who just want to finish the race, whereas the Climbing Road Race is more geared towards people competing. I am not competing for the podium but feel I have surpassed the level where I “just” want to finish
- How to adapt plan to long base rides?
- I know the theory of the plan says that you do not need any other workouts than the ones in the plan but I just like riding my bike too much, especially on the weekends.
- How would you adapt the plan to fit either one or two longer rides in on the weekend?
- If you only do one longer ride on the weekend which of the TR workouts would you replace?
- What type of workouts would you do when riding longer? Only base, or also include some form sprints and some longer sweet spot work on climbs?
- How fast do you increase the TSS of the longer rides and how (volume vs intensity)?
- Tapering using TR
- How do you taper and what TR workouts to you do preceeding the event if your plan does not perfectly end on event day?
- Riding outside
- Once weather permits I will be riding outside as much as possible. How do you upload the workouts onto your wahoo? I am currently considering just recreating them in Training Peaks.
I look forward to your answers and would love to keep you up to date with my progress
Please feel free to refer to other forum posts where I can read up or TR podcasts that should answer my questions. I feel similar questions have been discussed before!