I think I have a decision to make. At the end of SSBII MV, I posted the following: Recovering from Training Plan Collapse
What happened next was that I took my recovery week and felt strong at the beginning of the first week of Build - Short Power MV. I didn’t get much sleep before the Ramp Test largely due to work stress, and I ended up with the test recommending a 250 FTP. That’s a 2w drop from what I was going with during base based on this test: App froze during ramp test.
I decided to go with that since I assumed I would have tested stronger had I been less tired. Maybe that was a mistake, but more on that later. Fast forward 4 weeks, this is where I am at:
I struggled with the first Thursday workout, where I essentially fell apart a minute and something before the end of the last interval. At this point, I also had decided that I had underfueled for much of base and started eating a lot more during workouts. I then felt strong during Spanish Needle -3 and aced the next week of the build block. This also coincided with the cold weather in the Midwest, so I suspect my RPE was slightly reduced as the temperature on my garmin was 5-7 degrees colder than usual. Anyway, I felt strong and Lion Rock felt way too easy so I started all-out sprinting at the opening bursts instead of following the prescribed wattage. The next day, Sweet Spot felt way harder than it should! Then the problems came back: Tuesday I had to backpedal for 5s through the final hard interval of Bashful +6, Wednesday I took the sprints in Mokelumne to mean all-out, and Thursday (Mitchell) I fell apart in interval 4 our of 6. I gutted it out and had to backpedal and skipped bursts quite a bit.
I kind of want to give Junction a shot at full intensity because of the way I felt during Spanish Needle -3 and Lion Rock, but I’ll decide on that depending on how I feel tomorrow.
Here’s my actual question. Given my collapses during the last weeks of SSBII and SPB MV, I should probably make some adjustments. Here are three options that I am considering:
Ramp test after recovery and take off 5% hoping that that will give me a perfect block and put me back on track. Then maybe always do that after the ramp test.
Ramp test after recovery and only reduce vo2max. I actually find it hard to decide what workouts to reduce in Short-Power Build. For example, I have no idea if my problem with Mitchell is the burst intensity or the valley intensity. I worry that turning down the valley intensity would rob the workout of its effectiveness.
What if my problem is recovery? So I suppose the third option is to drop to LV for the second half of build or just skip the Wednesday zone 2 workouts to get some more recovery and proceed with an unmodified FTP. The thing with that is, that I am not sure that my workouts right now are so unproductive that the “failures” outweigh the gains of the volume. Hard to say.
I hope this isn’t too much detail. I hope that spelling this out a little more might be helpful to others too. Here’s a link to my workout history: https://www.trainerroad.com/career/cyclhist/calendar.