Canned Corn and Black Beans - My Cheap, but Effective Training Fuel Source

Except glyphosate has been widespread use since the 1970s so we have a huge cohort of 50 year data to draw from. Almost any chemical can be carcinogenic at high enough doses, and worrying about it on food residue is very low on the totem pole in terms of health risk short or long term

5 Likes

Do you have a recipe you use for the homemade refried beans?

Absolutely.

The recipe I have uses an Instant Pot. However, that isn’t necessary, it just speeds up the process of cooking the beans.

Also, I use a food processor, again while not necessary (the recipe calls for a potato masher) it does make for a really creamy texture.

Ingredients

1 cup dried pinto beans, soaked for 8 hours and drained
3 cups water
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon fine seal salt

Optional garnishes: fresh cilantro, lime wedges, diced tomatoes, sliced, jalapeños, diced avocado, crumbled queso

1. Combine the drained beans, water, onion and garlic in the Instant Pot

2. Stir well, making sure the beans are submerged. Secure the lid and move the steam release value to Sealing. Select Manual/Pressure Cook to cook at high pressure for 20 minutes.

3. When the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then move the steam release value to Venting to release any remaining pressure. When the floating value drops, remove the lid and drain the beans, reserving the liquid.

4. Return the cooked beans to the Instant Pot and stir in 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid along with the cumin, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne and salt. Use a potato masher to mash the cooked beans until smooth, leaving some texture if you like. I use a food processor for this step and only add enough liquid back to achieve the consistency I like.

5. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt as needed.

Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Calories: 50
Carbohydrates: 16.5 grams
Fiber: 10 grams
Sugar: 1.5 grams
Protein: 5 grams

2 Likes

I’d add a cup of cooked quinoa or brown rice. We eat a lot of black beans in my house.

1 Like

This is awesome! I’m going to try this same combo.

A slight combination of a lot of everyone’s posts. Roasted broccoli and yams with olive oil salt and garlic, white rice with liquid aminos, canned black beans and corn

5 Likes

Also, my GF used the mix for some quick tacos for dinner with bagged slaw mix and avocados and lime and it changed things up substantially

that looks delicious!

Yup. I occasionally found myself on the receiving end of agricultural spray drift during windy spring days in Wisconsin.

After college I could not find work, lived in a car for a while, lived on canned refried beans and tortillas from a panaderia. Today, my cheap meal is some baked sweet potato, black beans, cotija cheese, on a nixonized tortilla with maybe red chile. Dirt cheap, delicious, and nutritious.

1 Like

Heck yeah. I eat something like this all the time. Throw some home-pickled onion on there too.

If youre a meat eater I like to spice up a beef roast in a slow cooker when its on sale. Tons of pulled pork to add to things like this and freeze it for later.

2 Likes

Avocado :avocado: so much better

If I’m at costco i’ll get a rotisserie chicken and shred that up, my GF is semi-pescatarian so we’re trying to do vegetarian meals a couple times a week

I’m following this recipe:

smells great. Cheating a bit with Seeds of Change ‘Quinoa & Brown Rice’ in the microwave.

3 Likes

broccoli should take half the time of the sweet potatoes so they shouldn’t be mixed like in the recipe, but YMMV. I like my broccoli charred so follow this recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/12/how-to-roast-broccoli.html basically throw the sweet potatoes in first while the oven is getting up to temp, and put in the broccoli after for 15 mins at 500F

1 Like

Seasoning was perfect. Convection oven at 425 - I pulled the broccoli out after 15 minutes, and then yams for another 10 minutes. Next time I’ll set oven to 400, and put yams in for 15, then add broccoli and cook for 10-12 min.

I hope your saddle has a center cutout! :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Thanks, great recipe and will use that next. We buy the 3lb bags of broccoli at Costco and I’ve been getting bored with steamed broccoli. The one I found was a top hit from “roasted yams and broccoli” search - we both loved the seasoning. I’ll do a recipe mashup and cook the broccoli at 500 next time.

Works well with carrots, cauliflower, asparagus, squash, etc from costco. I pretty much don’t do steamed vegetables anymore. The small amount of added oil from the roasting adds so much more complexity and you can prepares huge batches at a time for the week. Replacing spaghetti noodles with roast cauliflower covered in marinara is also another great one to prep for a week of meals

1 Like

earlier this week I dropped the steamed broccoli on my plate, and topped it off with leftover marinara sauce and meatballs. That was really satisfying, but not as good as roasted veggies! Next time I’ll make two large trays - as I’m the king of leftovers!

1 Like