Worldwide Disaster Day 2021 "Official" Thread

It’s that time of year again – time for the 4th annual Worldwide Disaster event, with this year’s Worldwide Disaster Day taking place on 11 December 2021 !

Although we are currently in the early phase of planning, WWDD should again contain all of the usual features and amenities. The Discord group for live banter, group workouts, and a WWDD finisher t-shirt, with proceeds from sales going to World Bicycle Relief. Watch this space for details and announcements as we finalize logistics!

Get ready for the greatest cycling event of 2021!

Zach, @MK_2 and @N8lewis (the WWDD team)

FAQ

What?

Disaster is a ‘kitchen sink’ workout which contains a little bit of everything – threshold, endurance, VO2 Max and bursts – and is, in Coach Chad’s own words ‘similar to a long road race or particularly brutal group ride.’ The full-fat Disaster runs a whopping 4:15 and 264 TSS, but the minus versions cover the same ground in either 3:20 (-1) or 2:15 (-2), with a comparable reduction in TSS.

Who?

The WWDD is designed as an event where you choose a workout that pushes your limits. Even if you don’t do one of the Disaster variants, any workout that challenges your goals and fitness qualifies as part of WWDD. Maybe try a version you’ve never tried before (Mary Austin, anyone?), or a + version/stretch workout to test your limits. The principle is about challenging yourself during the gloomy winter months in the Northern Hemisphere. (Please note, antipodeans are of course welcome as well.)

When?

11 December 2021 is the “official” big day, but any Disaster in December counts!

Why?

Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, “Because it is there.”

48 Likes

I’m so excited :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

4 Likes

It’s on.

3 Likes

Sick, an “event” I can train for!

4 Likes

I hate you.

I’m in.

13 Likes

We’re the best event.

1. No chance of crashing (unless you’re on rollers)
  2. We won’t cancel due to Covid
  3. No event fees
6 Likes

Sounds absolutely miserable.

I’m in.

6 Likes

Did it in 2019 and got the t-shirt. In again.

3 Likes

Don’t forget that all nature breaks are in the comfort of your own home. No appalling porta-johns that make you want to vomit!

1 Like

I’m in, though I’m going to have to do it on Sunday 5 December due to work commitments.

4 Likes

This is first time the proposed date will work for me. Looks like I’m out of excuses now…

3 Likes

Will do this again, but I don’t know the exact date yet.

1 Like

Wait so we get a tee shirt?! I think I can do one in December, I have an event the first week but I might try this out :call_me_hand:

Well…as usual I can’t say no to stupid ideas…so I am in…

6 Likes

Well technically we get the opportunity to buy a t-shirt for ourselves. But it’s for a good cause and we still have to earn the right to wear it. Just buying it will result in eternal damnation, like being unable to find the right seat height for the rest of your life, or powergel salted peanut being your only carb source during workouts.

8 Likes

this sounds dumb. i am in.

8 Likes

One must earn the t-shirt. With sweat and tears.

1 Like

I’m going to hate myself for doing it but I"m putting WWDD as on event on my calendar… first time so I may try the -2 version… but it’s something to keep the motivation going…

3 Likes

I have an event the day of disaster but plan to do it in December, I’ll do almost anything for a tee shirt. Almost anything….

3 Likes

heck indoor for 4.5 hours is something to be proud of

2 Likes